Hdd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 12th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Tourist

Hdd

Can I attach any HDD to the XL2? I dont need a fancy on screen display one. Just something that I could log the footage to and go direct to edit in Shake and whatnot. Thanks!
Reed Culver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Reed, yes you can, take a look in this forum:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=65
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Direct to HDD (almost)

Hi Reed,

When I'm doing stationary camera work, I go from my XL-2 through my laptop to a fast GRAID external disk, all via Firewire. I'm running DV-Rack on the laptop which output in AVI format. Of course, this allows you to monitor both the actual video as well as video and audio waveforms before and during recording. For this configuration you'll need a laptop with an internal firewire port and an separate external PCMCIA firewire card (no, you can't use two ports on the same firewire card).

Once you've recorded the AVI to the HDD, presto - you're ready for editing.

Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks alot for the info guys. The FS-4 would be real cool, but its more than I could afford at the moment. Not sure what to look for inside that link posted, so I just googled the FS-4. Stationary shots are hard to come by, but the laptop idea might work for a few shots. I do 2d/3d compositing and the complex shots require me to move around and get paralax movement. What I am really looking for is a way to mount a cheap pc hd and have it store to it. The XL2 and workstation were all I could afford on a college kid budget for the moment.
Reed Culver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders