2 Issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 27th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2 Issues

I have had two issues with my new XL2 that I have not been able to find any info on. Any help would be appreciated.

1) I was shooting one day at the top of a mountain. The EVF, every 30 seconds or so, would stutter with horizontal scan lines, like what you may get with a cable not plugged in all the way. The lines did not turn up on the footage, but what I did get was a quick buzz/beep at around the same interval. Temp that day was low 40s F. It has only happened once, and I have been unable to recreate it.

2) I did some shooting yesterday, and the tape motor/heads were making some loud buzzing/whining that would fade in and out. It was definately loud enough to hear across the room. (completely different from the other noise) I have not yet used a head cleaner on the camera. I should probably do that first.

I will try to upload some footage soon. Other then these issues, I love the camera, and the images have literally floored me.

Thanks for the help,
Brandon
Brandon Katcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

That is not normal noise. Does it do the same thing when warm? A cleaning tape will do no good with the noise, I would take it or send it for service. Is it still under warranty?

Mike
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, I just got it a month ago.
Brandon
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

So I just got off the phone with the canon service center. They are sending me a box to send my camera in.

The first issue I was having, the rep told me that it sounded like radio interference, which actually makes sense, because I was shooting up at the top of a mountain that happens to have quite a bit of radio equipment.

She also said turnaround time was 3-5 days, which was pleasantly surprising.

Hopefully they will be able to fix something.
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #5
Major Player

The service center will send you a box to ship in? Sweet. Do you have to ship the whole camera with lens, or just the body with the EVF?
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Katcher
The first issue I was having, the rep told me that it sounded like radio interference, which actually makes sense, because I was shooting up at the top of a mountain that happens to have quite a bit of radio equipment.
I've had the same problem 3 or 4 times when shooting on a helicopter flight. It hasn't affected the footage so I've ignored it.
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah, they are sending a box, although I will have to pay for shipping there. I was pretty surprised when they said 3-5 days, I was thinking it was going to be a month or more.

I am sending the whole camera, I am going to have them give it a full checking. I am going to be spending a month in Nepal with the camera, I need it to be working absolutely perfectly.

Grant, did you use audio from the helicopter flights? I was definately hearing a loud buzz every 30 seconds or so on my tapes.

Brandon
Old December 29th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Katcher
Grant, did you use audio from the helicopter flights? I was definately hearing a loud buzz every 30 seconds or so on my tapes.
I don't think so. It's difficult to tell over the helicopter noise!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders