XL2 COLOR BARS vs FINAL CUT PRO COLOR BARS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 15th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 COLOR BARS vs FINAL CUT PRO COLOR BARS

I used the color bars off of my xl2 to callibrate my JVC production monitor. When I bring up the ntsc color bars via Final Cut Pro, there is a drastic differance between the two! the ones from the XL2 seem to be right on as how I callibrated the monitor. Final Cut's are way off, I can see all of the 3.5, 7.5 & 11.5 bars, drastically. So, now I'm concerned as to which color bars I really should have my monitor callibrated to....

Any suggestions on this subject?
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Major Player

When you refer to the Final Cut Color bars do you mean bars generated by Final Cut on your monitor or the bar footage from the XL2 on your monitor displayed by Final Cut? (if that's not exactly clear, in the latter case I mean XL2 color bars imported to FCP and displayed to the monitor).
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Andolina
When I bring up the ntsc color bars via Final Cut Pro
sounds like he means the FCP generated bars

not sure why they are so different but my suggestion: just go with what looks right to you.
Mark Morikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

yes Mark's right, I was referring to the bars generated from Final Cut compared to the bars generated from the XL2 as I view one or the other onto my production monitor.
And, I guess the bottom line would be as you state Mark to go with what looks good to the eye.
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Take 2 seconds of XL2 bars and put them on the timeline next to 2 seconds of FCP bars. Open up your video scopes and look at both, they will tell you everything you need to know. If you don't know what to look for tell us what you see and someone can help. My guess is that the setup level is off on one or the other. Good Luck.
Charles Hurley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders