My XL2 Got Wet - I think its done - How to get it fixed? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 6th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #16
Major Player

Hahaha.. but it's not a witch!

Seriously, I have a computer motherboard that had a battery leak onto it. It didn't run right cause of the acid that had leaked out, so I poured distilled water over it in the bathroom sink and voila', problem solved. :)

Granted that's more 2 dimensional, and i wasn't really picturing dunking the entire camera as a whole. Odds are that there's one thing not working right, and that's causing everything else to not work on this camera.. Perhaps just opening it up will reveal that. It should run without the lens or viewfinder attached, right? So that removes a lot of calibrated type of stuff..

On a related note, I got my XL2 used 3 weeks ago. Condition was basically new, but there was a little brown dust around the eye cup. Upon further inspection, I believe the viewfinder was dropped in mud, and the dust is what was left after the previous owner tried to clean it. I took the viewfinder's lens assembly apart as much as possible and cleaned it with q-tips, compressed air, and microcloth and cleaning solution.. There was grass and grit stuck in the focusing mechanism and stuff.. Sure it's not seasalt, and sure there wasn't much in there, but obviously it hadn't been taken apart to clean it it.. If Canon won't take it, open it up, it might be an obvious problem :)
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #17
Trustee

After having one unprotected camera submerged in saltwater many years ago, that worked for a short time following thorough air-drying but then became unusable due to fast salt corrosion, I have followed the procedure that I mentioned on a number of occasions with cameras and radio mic units – and this has worked on all but one unit.

I am not saying - if you still have the XL2 under warranty, and that if it has just been externally splashed in salt-spray - that it shouldn’t be sent back to Canon for possible free repair.

My XL2 bodies are not under warranty or saltwater insurance policy (although I do often use them in underwater housings). If I stumble and accidentally drop an un-protected XL2 body in the sea (so that it was completely submerged and flooded), then I would remove the batteries and immediately submerge it in freshwater. I would later dismantle some of the main accessible parts and then dry them as much as possible prior to replacing the battery and turning it back on.

If my XL2 didn’t work after that, then I’d simply buy another and keep the old one for spare parts. Sending a saltwater flooded XL2 back to Canon for repair would probably cost me far more in parts and labour than buying a replacement.

As for sending it back to Canon, most warranties would not cover a DV camera that has been completely submerged in the sea or hit by a number of saltwater waves that flood the compartments; but if it was covered under warranty then of course send it back (it wouldn't make much difference if you'd sent it back after being cleaned in freshwater anyway...).

Last edited by Tony Davies-Patrick; March 6th, 2007 at 05:44 AM.
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #18
Major Player

I agree, though I think I'd pull the lens off first. Lenses are super expensive and possibly better sealed than the body is? Or at least bathe them separately, so they can each drain more quickly.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #19
Trustee

Yes, Eric, the lens can be difficult to rinse out and dry properly as the elements have seals. If you are lucky, the saltwater may have not got into the deep inner sections of the lens. Removing the bayonet fitting is not too difficult to do, and this helps you to clean any saltwater that may have entered that section first; but I would advise you not to try and dismantle the lens unless it is a last resort.

If the XL2 body itself is totally kaput, it might be worth sending the lens alone to Canon as this might be repairable if the saltwater hasn’t seeped too deep. If water has gotten deep inside between each working element, or damaged the electronics, then I’d advice looking for a 20X or 16X from Ebay rather than fork out the hefty repair bill.

I think it all boils down to how much a professional repair job weighs up against you trying to do a salvage job yourself. For minor surface salt-spray it might be worth sending to Canon, but for a serious saltwater flooding of the equipment, then it is always worth trying the self-salvage option...because in reality you've then got nothing to lose and a lot to gain.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #20
Major Player

I think if I go anywhere near a boat, I'm going to make sure I have an underwater box for it, just in case someone sneaks up behind me and goes 'Boo!' and I let go of the camera or something.

It's never fun losing gear, but it's always good to keep spare parts on hand, so I guess there is one positive side to it.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #21
Major Player

I am leaving the British Virgin Islands today finally (the incident happened 2 days ago). I wiped the surface of the camera down and the lens with a slighty moist towel. The unit still does not come on as of yet.

As soon as I hit stateside I am going to send it to Canon for servicing.

I understand that a new Canon xl-2 body only is about $2000 - $3000 now a days - so hopefully the viewfinder and lens still work and the lens isnt not scratched from microscopic salt deposits because that would be an additional $2k.

By the way my IKAN v7000 monitor survived the splashing so far. I might take it apart and clean the motherboards when I get back by hand.

I thank everyone for taking their time to respond with advice and any additional guidance is of course deeply appretiated.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #22
Major Player

Hey John,

If it's any consolation, I got my XL2 on eBay 3 weeks ago for $2800 with 4 filters, a hardshell case with a luggage pullout handle, sony headphones, LED hotshoe light, remove LANC zoom controller and some other things. All in very nice condition.. There are no lens scratches or anything wrong with it and so far the images have been great..

Just a thought, have a good trip back. :)
-Eric
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #23
Major Player

What are you waiting for? Send it to Canon RIGHT NOW! Call them and get a repair number and let them know it's coming. Send everything, body, lens, finder. If you back here in NYC, drive the 2 hours to Jamesburg and drop it off, or ship it, or whatever, just get it to a repair facility as quickly as possible.

I think the fresh water dunking is more for mechanical cameras, like a Nikon F. These days, where cameras are more electronic, I don't think that a camera,especially a video camera, should be dunked. Ask Canon.

And yes, sorry to hear of you loss. That really sucks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders