Moving from Panasonic to Sony tapes...Head problems? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 25th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Moving from Panasonic to Sony tapes...Head problems?

The film program at my university only allows the use of Sony tapes with their equipment. Apparently, this is because Sony has one universal tape lubricant for all of their products. I'm apprehensive about moving from the nice Panasonic tapes I've been using to the Sony's about which I know nothing. I've probably only got somewhere around 15 hours of use on my XL2, but I'm worried about messing with the heads. Should I run a head cleaner through it before switching brands, or should I just go ahead and run a Sony through?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~Nick V.
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

it's better to stick with one brand. If there's no other solution, you might want to dub each tape to a second dv camera with different tape.
Daan Bras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Nick. If you have to switch, I suggest you run a head cleaning tape through first, then shoot some video using one of the Sony tapes. Then capture the Sony tape and look for drop-outs.

It's kinda obvious, but I'll mention it anyway just in case. If you are using a capture deck, you should go through the same procedure with it too.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yep, I've seen this problem many times before.

The biggest problem was switching to Sony tapes temporarily from Panasonic (or JVC). The damn coating on the Sony tapes jacked up my heads very quickly, probably due to the change more than the actual tape quality. I hate those venetian blind type dropouts, but there they were.

If you stick with one brand (even Sony) you should be fine. It's kind of like the old saying:

Beer and wine, be just fine
Beer and liquor, makes you sicker.

Don't mix your alcohols or tapes! :-)
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah, I figured as much. I have all my own equipment and editing software, so I'm working on everything at home, but my professor makes us turn our projects in on tape. I asked her why this was, and apparently it's because most students don't know how to properly burn a high-quality DVD. So...here I am, inconvenienced due to the incompetence of others.

I have to lug my XL2 up to campus, which is 45 minutes away, and hook it up to a miniDV deck to transfer my project to a Sony tape. Craziness!

Thanks for the replies,

~Nick V.
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nick, asuming you know how to burn a quality DVD and in fact that's what the instuctor is concerned about, would you have the option to show her a DVD you burn on your own at home so she can let you off the hook possibly?
Just a thought... ;)

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Vaughan View Post
Yeah, I figured as much. I have all my own equipment and editing software, so I'm working on everything at home, but my professor makes us turn our projects in on tape. I asked her why this was, and apparently it's because most students don't know how to properly burn a high-quality DVD. So...here I am, inconvenienced due to the incompetence of others.

I have to lug my XL2 up to campus, which is 45 minutes away, and hook it up to a miniDV deck to transfer my project to a Sony tape. Craziness!

Thanks for the replies,

~Nick V.
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Andolina View Post
Nick, asuming you know how to burn a quality DVD and in fact that's what the instuctor is concerned about, would you have the option to show her a DVD you burn on your own at home so she can let you off the hook possibly?
Just a thought... ;)

Joe
Well, it's a nice thought, but they don't make exceptions at my university. I got everything transfered fine...it was just a little annoying. Good thing I only have to put up with it for a few more years...ugh.
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders