XL2 Reflectoins, ripples at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 26th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #1
Major Player

XL2 Reflectoins, ripples

I have tried Almost everything to try and figure out why, when shooting with my XL2, do I always end up with some reflectoins or ripple effect on certain objects or colors. Sometimes just anywhere, even on the block of a building. I feel I am shooting it right. This last shoot was done outside, I had the gain at 0 and the light was out indicatiing ok gain, I set the white balance with a sheet of paper as the book says...also set to outside, I was shooting in 30P widescreen at 1/60 shutter speed and exp lock before each shot. I am using the technicolor and anemelie presets I got from here. Could this be a problem of too much color saturation causing the movement? It almost looks like ripples on water in places. When I am not moving or moving, doesn't seem to matter. The a small part or object will just jiggle or shimmer. It really takes away from the shot and makes it look cheap. Someone please tell me how to get rid of this or how can I fix it in sony vegas. I have two projects to shoot but I am afraid to start until I can figure out what is causing this. I will say this, it is not too bad when captured in vegas, but after rendering to mpeg it gets worse. Obviously the loss of quality in the render makes it worse. I am anxious to hear what you think. Could I need to use a UV filter? Because I am not at this time. Thanks. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Can you post a screen-shot? The only thing I can think of is when you see heat coming off the road on a hot day...that can make things look like they're rippling. But you said it was on the "block" (did you mean "back") of a building...so I'd need to see it.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Major Player

The ripple I am speaking of is probably more like overexposure? When you are playing the video back, you see movement that is not predjudice. Usually on a bright or white object meeting a dark. I noticed it improves quite a bit by clearing the box that says "allow motion compensation" found in the advanced video tab when rendering. I also increased the bitrates to much higher levels. the file is bigger, but not too much and it helped a lot. I feel the problem is just the loss of quality. It doesn't really show up until you render it to architect and burn it on dvd. Once to dvd, you see it and it drives you nuts. anyway, I have just about gotten rid of it this way, now adding a little quick blur and film grain and it should go completely away. thanks.
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Have you tried turning on the zebra stripes to check your exposure?
Matt Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #5
Major Player

No Mat I have not. But I intend to get to know the Zebra stripes soon. It seems as though I have been learning this camera one step at a time. Thanks. j
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #6
Wrangler

Try setting vertical detail to 'low' and see if that helps.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Thats the best advice I have heard yet...I just read about that in my manual. thanks. J
John L. Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders