Firewire to PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 29th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Firewire to PC

Hi,

I am beginning to monitor and record on my PC via Firewire with the use of DV Rack. This is working out very nicely, DV Rack is an awesome program.

So my question is: Does anybody know of a nice firewire cable that will maybe fit flush on the back of the XL2? The firewire cable that I currently have seems to wiggle quite a bit in the back of my camera. I'm affraid that it may eventually weaken and break.

Also, does anybody know waht the maximum length Firewire cable is that I can use without running into any problems such as loss of signal?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Try Markertek.com for a 90 degree angle firewire and also for extended firewire cables.
The rule of thumb is 15' for firewire but they sell them there up to about 150'.
I"ve used them to trigger other cameras and recorders using the long runs and they work fine.
Try taping your cable to the handle of your camera for some cable strain relief so you won't be flexing the connector so much.
The four pin is the weakest link of any firewire connections.
Pat Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Just to add to this:

I think Pat's advice about taping the cable is very good advice indeed.

Personally I gather all out-of-camera cables (firewire, headphone, video monitor, XLR, power, PAG and LANC), secure them together close to the camera body using a cable tie then use another cable tie to hang them off the XL2 handle. That reduces the risk of them being yanked out as well as reducing strain on the connections. Better still, if I'm lucky enough to be working with a sound engineer, or in a fixed position, I remove the on-board mic and run all the cables through the mic ring attachment first.

I cannot for the life of me understand why whoever invented firewire chose such a flimsy design!

I have a similar issue with the 1/8" headphone connector. I'm not monitoring on iPod earbuds, I use DT150's. That means I have to use a 1/8 to 1/4 adaptor which adds a lot of strain to the socket (that's how I broke my headphone connector - sure I'm not the first. I now use a 1/8" extension cable and plug the 1/4" adaptor into the other end of that) .

Rant over.

Oh, for the record, I am happily using a 30' firewire cable to record direct to DV-Rack. No signal drop out or interference, even when used in heavy electronics/comms/industrial environments.

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Your suggestions sound like they will work perfect! I do agree that the four pin firewire connector was designed poorly. I will be ordering a 15 and a 30 foot from Marktek, with the 90 degree angle, in the next couple of days. I think I am going to design some sort of quick disconnect system that will support all my cables while on the camera. Thank you for the info!
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Very interested to know if there are any suppliers of the 90 deg angled firewire connector/cable in the UK.

I couldn't find a Marktek website but I have only just gotten out of bed so that could explain it. If anyone could help out a poor, tired, overweight, hungover old fart from England I'd be your friend forever (assuming those are attributes you look for in a friend).

Cheers!

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #6
Major Player

I do appologize, it is Markertek.com. Here is the link:

http://www.markertek.com/ProdList.as...&search=0&off=

They should have just about any firewire cable you might need. Thanks again Pat!
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders