Making a dark place light.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Making a dark place light..

Well I turn up the gain, but it just adds to the noise... =\ Any suggestions, please?
Scott Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Welch View Post
Well I turn up the gain, but it just adds to the noise... =\ Any suggestions, please?
Personally, I hate gain noise so much, I never use it, but there are other ways to get more light into the XL2. Open the iris up. Turn off Neutral Density filters.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Add light! Other than that, gain is your only option, short of getting a large CCD ENG type camera.

Mike
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Several things... when you gain up, also turn up the coring, it will mask the noise. You may also need to boost the color saturation a little as low light can be very muted. Next thing, stretch the blacks. After that, try upping the setup level and lastly you can up the master pedestal. The XL2 can pull a lot of detail out of shadows but it can result in pretty noisy, milky images if you are not careful.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ash, would you please explain two of the terms you used? What is coring, and what is black stretch - I can't find any info on these two.
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Ervin,

Before you ask anymore questions, go to this site and downloaad and watch the XL2 Features Tour. It will answer many of your questions and is a must for any Canon user. It is about a half hour long and is one of the best instructional videos I've ever seen. Download it, save it and watch it many many times!

http://www.dvcreators.net/canon-xl2/

Mike
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah, absolutely. That video is amazing. About halfway through, some time after the lens bit is over you'll get all sorts of info on lighting, some of it on how to get good lighting in a dark place without overdoing the grain. The rest is really good too.
Kyle Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

It says that the destination of the .mov file does not exist. Does anyone know where I could download it?
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Ash, would you please explain two of the terms you used? What is coring, and what is black stretch - I can't find any info on these two.
Coring is a fine detail setting, originally intended to cover small tight patterns but has grown into a noise adjustment. Turning it UP will cut down on fine detail, which will reduce noise. Some higher end cameras allow you to do it for every color. Black stretch is in the menu, default for BLACK is middle, stretch brings out detail in shadowy areas...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
It says that the destination of the .mov file does not exist. Does anyone know where I could download it?
See Nic's post in this link (towards the bottom).

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kirsch View Post
See Nic's post in this link (towards the bottom).

Jonathan
Not Found

The requested URL /canon/DemoMovie/XL2_demo_tour.mov was not found on this server.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Not Found

The requested URL /canon/DemoMovie/XL2_demo_tour.mov was not found on this server.
Yeah, I know. It took me about 15 tries over a couple days to finally get it to work. Don't know why...Nic hasn't responded to any of my posts or e-mails. What browser are you using? (Though I don't think that has anything to do with it.)

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders