Making CD play on any DVD player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Tourist

Making CD play on any DVD player

Loaded the finished tape on to my PC from my XL2 using firewire, and used Windows Movie Maker to edit, add titles etc. then saved to the hard drive. Burnt it to a CDR using Nero and the CDR plays on any PC, but not on a DVD player. Does anyone know how I save this so as we could send copies to friends and they can play it on their own DVD player.

Many Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Brokenshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM   #2
Trustee

The simplest way I know is to author it as a VCD which uses MPEG1.

If you need higher quality than VCD you could make an SVCD which uses MPEG2, but it has been years since I had to make one of these and I've forgotten how to do it. Try the VCD first and see if it is acceptable.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brokenshire View Post
Burnt it to a CDR using Nero and the CDR plays on any PC, but not on a DVD player. Does anyone know how I save this so as we could send copies to friends and they can play it on their own DVD player.
Um, DVD players can't play CDRs. Try burning it to a DVD using software that muxes everything together to into a format that DVD players can read. Unfortunately, I don't work on PCs (I am on a Mac and use DVD Studio Pro) so I don't know what software that would be.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Jonathan wrote: Um, DVD players can't play CDRs.

Um... B*llsh*t. Some of the older ones, maybe. But anything made in the last 5 years should probably handle CD-Rs.

It may be that the problem is that you have not closed the CD? I haven't used Nero for quite a while so I can't remember exactly how to get to the project parameters, but you should look there for the settings. You want to make sure that you set it so that "no further writing is possible", or "close the CD" or some such language. A properly burnt CD-R will play fine on most DVD players (there are always a few bad ones out there).

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders