Shooting Full Manual at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #1
New Boot

Shooting Full Manual

Ok, I'm a newbie with a newbie question:

I have my XL2 and I want to learn to shoot full manual. I'm at 24P with the shutter set to 1/48. I'm shooting run-n-gun nature footage in sunny and shaded conditions. I don't have time to use a light meter, so how do I judge the correct f-stop to use?

Bill
Bill Westbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Major Player

There's a meter at the top left in your viewfinder that usually does a pretty good job. If the marker is farther to the right you are leaning more towards overexposed, and to the left is more towards the underexposed side of things. Keep in mind that shooting outdoors in sunny conditions will probably require the use of the ND filter.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
There's a meter at the top left in your viewfinder that usually does a pretty good job. If the marker is farther to the right you are leaning more towards overexposed, and to the left is more towards the underexposed side of things.

Funny you mentioned that. I have had my XL2 for around two years now and have never even noticed that little meter. I'm always busy trying to eyeball the exposure.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Trustee

Turn on your zebras as well..set them to 90, shoot lots of tests...learn what works and what doesn't so you can eyeball it using the zebras on set. lots of tests!
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, once again the Zebras! They will save you.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Major Player

There's a light meter in the EVF!?! Like Adam, I'm too busy composing the shot, exposing, shutter, etc. etc. etc. Darn it, where'd I place my manual???

--JA
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Using a combination of the zebras and light meter works wonders. But using just one or the other can cause problems. For example, the light meter takes an average of the area, so if a small subject is surrounded by light area, according to the meter, you will need to overexpose.

Brandon
Brandon Katcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #8
Major Player

When metering, use an incident meter, not a reflected meter. An incident meter reads the light falling on the subject.

Using your zebras is your best bet. You can judge your exposure with a good broadcast monitor, or a good onboard monitor. The zebras help you determine where your highlights are.

I suggest getting the FU-1000 B&W Viewfinder, since it is a better "professional" B&W viewfinder. It has brightness, peaking and contrast controls. I never liked the stock EVF which made accurate focusing difficult. Just be sure that the camera is off when you plug, or unplug the FU-1000, otherwise you'll blow the main fuse.

Do some searches in this forum.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sasahara View Post
When metering, use an incident meter, not a reflected meter. An incident meter reads the light falling on the subject.

I don't see how you could use a meter with video. You don't have an ASA to go off of. So I would think your accuracy would be all over the map and you would just be better off eyeballing it, using zebras or other methods.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #10
Major Player

I think the XL2 has an approximate ASA of 320. A bit less under tungsten light, 200? Not sure.

Another useful item to have is a waveform monitor, but that's an advanced bit of gear and expensive to own. You're better off renting one and having someone who knows how to use it show you.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #11
Trustee

The problem with the built in meter is that it does not take into account cinematic framing. If the subject is framed extreme left or right, the meter is pretty useless. It is VERY important to learn to use ALL the manual controls because it will really help you become a better shooter because you can frame things in a much more cinematic way. With the auto controls, you have to stick fairly centered...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Mark, Adam,

I have read so many times that you should have a light meter. Like adam it has never made sense to me because there is no ASA speed!!! In digital isn't the supposed ASA speeds really just relatives to varying levels of gain???

I will have to test out marks 200 and 320 speeds and see how they hold up.
at least this gives a basis to start at!!!

Funny how so many people right about using the light meter but nobody writes on how to do it!

Maybe Ash has the answer!!!!
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #13
Trustee

Zebras are the best bet unless you have a ton of experience. I generally eyeball it but after shooting 5000+ hours of DV, I am the human meter =o) I recommend setting the zebras to 80 and making sure there are no zebras on the face (maybe on a bald head or oily nose). I am in the "better to slightly underexpose than overexpose camp" because once you go white... there is no getting that info back. Also, "hot" faces on the XL2 tend to get pastel looking.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:42 AM   #14
New Boot

Thanks a bunch for all of the responses. I'm beginning to get the hang of it. It's like everything else: practice, practice, practice!

Bill
Bill Westbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Yup set the light meter to an ASA of 320 and you will not be far off i've done loads of test with my XL2 with it's manual lens and this is the bases I use to start with from then on you get a little more creative but it's good a base to start at.
Andy Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders