Blown Fuse? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 13th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Ryan Brown

Blown Fuse?

Had a shoot last week and everything went great. Went out to shoot some location tests today, and the camera just wouldn't power on. Change batteries = Nothin. Wall charger = Nothin

So... I came home and did a bit of searching here on the forums and see that it's *fairly* common to blow the main fuse.

My issue is this: I'm using the original viewfinder, not the Fu-1000. I did NOT hot plug, change a lens, or do ANYTHING else but pop a battery in and try to turn it on.

Can it just blow like that?

and most importantly (I read through most of the other threads similar to my problem, and not one mentioned it), HOW MUCH WILL CANON CHARGE FOR THIS?

I bought the camera used, so I don't have any of the paperwork or warranty.

-brown

p.s. If it's happening as much as it seems to be, in my opinion, Canon should have addressed this issue. Now I'm dead in the water, have to postpone a paying music video, and a little pissed off.
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Best bet for solid information is to call canon. They'll be able to give you an idea of cost.

If what you want is a 'guestimate', I'd bet $250 dollars. But that's because I feel like guessing that.

Hard to know what caused it, if you have a blown fuse. Could be a loose connection, could be you did something you didn't remember, could be you didn't do something they will accuse you of.

You WERE using very expensive CANON AUTHORISED/Maunufactured batteries only weren't you??? Cause if you weren't I'd guess they'd let you know that was the issue. SInce they can't be held responsible for other brands. (See, it's easy to find the cause... er excuse.)

At this point, it's about getting the camera up and running again. Since my first camera was replaced, I've had no blown fuse issues, and I run with the FU-1000. So maybe it's an early model issue?

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Ryan Brown

Yup, Canon batteries only, as five of them came with my purchase.

The only other thing I can think of is that I had the camera flipped over on my lap as I was attaching my mattebox and then shoulder rig. I do that all the time, though...

Maybe a wire came loose as it was flipped over?

I dunno... it just went completely dead, and from what I've read, that usually leads to the fuse.

Anyone ever have it go dead from a loose wire or connection somewhere?
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Major Player

The main fuse could have been weakened. Who know, if it's used, then it's hard to say what the previous owner(s) did.

Canon's design is STUPID! I own an XL2, but sometimes it's a piece of prosumer shite.

I personally think that not having access to the fuse is ridiculous. Other cams give you access. Last month, we were using the Varicam and had some issues with too many accessories plugged into it and the fuse kept blowing. The AC had extra fuses and popped them in when they blew. Annoying, but fixable in the field and production didn't come to a grinding halt.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #5
Ryan Brown

Yeah... I agree. I found enough "pro's vs. cons" to grab to XL2 (after I already told myself "no more canons"), but now this happens and as much as I hate to say it, it just reflects my original issue's with canon.

Great products can only continue to be great products if excellent customer service follows the initial purchase.

And that's what turns me off of canon. Unless they tell me that they've heard of this problem happening before, tell me to send my camera in and they'll fix it free of charge, and send it back in a timely fashion, I'm going to be upset.

thanks for the reply's, and I guess I'll just have to see what they say.

-brown
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Ryan does yours have the film grain button on it by any chance? This earlier model of the XL2 seemed to have the most problems with blown fuses. I have the later model and haven't had one problem, not even a hiccup from the camera after two years of ownership. Hopefully Canon will take care of this quickly for you.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Ryan Brown

Yes... I just checked an I DO have the film grain button. After looking it up, I see that this "feature" was discontinued in December of '04, so my cam must be older than that - - although 3 years does NOT make it an old camera in my opinion. Hell, I've got an old XL1 that's still running strong (except the auto focus), and it's been used and abused for years.

My panny (dvx100a) is still running VERY strong with absolutely ZERO issue's to date, by the way.

Calling Canon tomorrow to see what they have to say. I'll stop talking smack till I actually hear from them ;)

-brown
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #8
Tourist

Well Ryan,
I don't want to be the bearer of the bad new...... I also had the 233 XL@ unit made and just got my unit back from Canon. It also was the blown fuse issue and they gave no idea what may have caused it. Oh the cost, $267.00...... oh yes, that film Grain option will be gone when it comes back also.

But now the tape assembly will not work right....... When you put a tape in it, it doesn't enter in the data needed for the property flag, telling everything you play the tape in, that this is recorded in MiniDV.....

So now when I play the tape the my Sony DSR80 DVCAM edit suite deck, it doesn't see a miniDV flag, so it plays it at DVCAM speed..... and the video looks like it does when you have dirty head, blotchy

As we all know, that if you play a miniDV tape in a DVCAM deck, it says Not Editable.......will it doesn't, because the flag isn't there...

So tomorrow at 8am, I will be on the phone to NJ, about it going back for a problem now, that never was there before. Lets see what they say now.....

So get your wallet out, Canon is about to relieve you of your cash...

Dave
C David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:00 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It happened to me, too. My XL2 doesn't have the film grain button, so it's not as old as yours but still managed to go down all the same.

It cost $240 to fix, the price also included adjusting my tracking so my shot tapes would play back smoothly on Sony and Panny decks/cameras, which was a huge deal for me. It took roughly 3 business days to fix.

I know your pain.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=93175
R.W. Swanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders