XL2 Wide Angle Lens??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 18th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 Wide Angle Lens???

Does anyone know where I can get a good wide angle lens for the XL2? I really can't spend too much (not over $120 really) because I've been getting sound gear and the like.

Anyway, I just needed something for a couple of wedding shoots to capture the inside of the church and a few other ringadings. I checked out several lenses on Ebay but I'm not so sure I should opt for something around $100 on Ebay while the seller says it's retailing at $400 elsewhere.

Could anyone please provide me with some options??
Vishad Dewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You mean wide-angle adapter right? SOmething that screws on to your current lens? If you mean an actual lens... the 3x is a tad more than $120 :P

I've used the Century Precision .6x adapter for years. It was worth the price in my opinion... although it's still way more than your $120 budget. I'd be very careful of the cheap stuff.

here's the one I use:
http://www.schneideroptics.com/centu...l-h1/xl-h1.htm
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Is it really a dramatic change between the wide angle adapter and an actual wide angle lens? I think there was a thread on it a while ago and it said something about the Lens being very much better and worth the higher price...

Sorry to stray off topic.
Chris C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That's still too expensive for me. I'd prefer an actual lens but I know that's not going to happen; an adapter is the only option I've got left.
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have the century adapter and it is outstanding, but it is also expensive, and it will not be as good as the 3x wide lens!!

To be honest there are no cheap wide angle adapters that are worth the money

To spend thousands on a camera and then degrade its images with cheap adapters is a shame.
I would just back up and use the regular lens before I used the cheap stuff!!! It will require you to be more creative.
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Good point, Dale. I'll just figure something else out in post-production. Oh well; maybe a few months from now I'll be able to afford the Canon 3X lens, eh?
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #7
Trustee

Better to wait... you dont want to put cheap glass in front of the great Canon glass. Century is the minimum, the 3X is best.\

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders