Wireless Mic EMERGENCY!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 9th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Mic EMERGENCY!!!

I've got a wedding tomorrow afternoon and I need help on figuring out how to record a wireless mic AND the Front Mic at the same time. I've tried pouring over that horrible manual Canon gives out, but it doesn't answer squat.

I'm using an XLR adapter to connect the receiver to the camcorder; I'd like to know how to record two ways: a wireless mic and front mic together, and two XLR connected wireless mics together.

I REALLY need help on this!
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Major Player

I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I believe you can record with FOUR channels on the XL2 if you drop the recording mode from 16-bit to 12-bit. I would run some tests to see if you can deal with the loss in recording fidelity.
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, the problem with dropping bits is that once dropped, I can't change it back to 16-bit again without some serious post-production editing problems. For instance, if I record in 2-channel 16 bit and then want to record on 4-channel 12 bit for a separate scene, during editing the software won't be able to understand the sudden bit change in the audio. It gets all mangled up.

I know I'm just doing it incorrectly, but there IS a way to record both front mic and XLR wireless mic. I just can't figure it out. I've tried every setting and I can't get both signals through.

Is there someone who has used wireless mics who can give me some tips? Anything would help.
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Major Player

There was a pretty active thread discussing this topic as recently as yesterday: click me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishad Dewan View Post
Yeah, the problem with dropping bits is that once dropped, I can't change it back to 16-bit again without some serious post-production editing problems. For instance, if I record in 2-channel 16 bit and then want to record on 4-channel 12 bit for a separate scene, during editing the software won't be able to understand the sudden bit change in the audio. It gets all mangled up.
Vegas will automatically resample in these situations. If your NLE will not do that, then try resampling your clips manually. You shouldn't have any post problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishad Dewan View Post
I know I'm just doing it incorrectly, but there IS a way to record both front mic and XLR wireless mic. I just can't figure it out. I've tried every setting and I can't get both signals through.
There is no way to do it other than by using 4 channels at 12-bit/32k. The front mic is stereo, and stereo is two channels. Therefore if you want to use any other mic at the same time, you will have to record in 4-channel/12-bit/32k mode.
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Trustee

Please use the 'search' function. This forum is literally blanketed with this topic and detailed instructions.
-Jon
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Trustee

..and don't forget your little 'audio monitor' button to monitor the audio coming in through ch3/4. By default it is set to monitor ch 1/2. You can push it once to monitor ch 3/4, and one more time to monitor 1,2,3,4 mix.

-Jon
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've tried that. It picks it up during recording; I can see it in the LCD. But when I play it back on the VCR mode all I can get is the Front Mic. When I turn the front mic off and test the wireless, no sound! It will only record the front mic, no matter what setting I use.

What the heck is going on ???!!!
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Trustee

If you are trying to hear the ch 3/4 audio by running the cam control through your NLE, you need to set you app preferences to ch 3/4 specifically, otherwise you will likely only hear the tracks from 1/2, even though 3/4 is on the tape.
-Jon
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #9
Major Player

Again, this has all been covered many, many times in other threads. Please do a search.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders