XLH1 or HVX200? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 31st, 2007, 10:08 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
To make an increasingly long story short.. if I was told I could have one, and only one, camera, it would be an XL H1 - with the 20x, 16x and 6x lenses - which is, coincidentally, exactly what I have sitting in my locker.
I have the exact same combination. Exact! By the way, by having these different lenses you aren't really stuck with "1" camera in the traditional sense. Changing lenses drastically changes the feel of the camera IMHO. It is hard to beat as every lens has its positives.

20x-Good overall range. Can zoom and get far shots and with OIS it is very usable. Possibly suffers from some CA or a slight magenta cast in certain situations. Servo focus is sluggish but doable.

6x- The best WA you can get in this class of cameras. 6x still has a decent usable zoom range unlike the previous 3x. Despite the obvious great wide end, this lens is so sharp and pristine it really makes the 20x look bad. In the same focal range the 6x is just superior to the 20x.

16x- while not technically being HD lens, this bad boy also tends to produce better images than the 20x. The focusing control is unbeatable and the lens has an overall more "contrasty" image than the 20x which seems to increase the sharpness some. The lack of OIS is the only real drawback I find when I need to zoom. also this lens is very light in comparison to the 20x and 6x.

My least favorite is the 20x. But I find I use it the most as it seems to fit the scenarios I shoot in the most. A lot of handheld stuff that I have to zoom is saved by the OIS.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:20 AM   #32
Major Player

Yeah, all true - unfortunately I gotta sell mine... but I'm not in a hurry...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:39 AM   #33
Trustee

Good luck. I wouldn't regret shooting on the HPX500 instead of the H1 in the least. However when it comes to bang for your buck and actually owning the camera the H1 is a bargain for what it delivers.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:32 PM   #34
Major Player

Here are a couple of sample with Canons and the HVX.
Even tho they are in youtube you can see how they look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQwU3ggEojQ

Here is a Sony, Canon & Panasonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeNFuYhEmJg

Sony & Canon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FimirGcSN_c
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:23 PM   #35
Inner Circle

What in the world does this tell us about the differences between the two cameras?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders