External monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #1
New Boot

External monitor

Hi guys(and girls) I am about to buy an external monitor for my xlh1 and have narrowed it to 2 choices-the marshall hdsdi 7 inch or the panasonic btlh80 7.9 inch. Both look pretty good with the Panny being more expensive but bigger with a couple more features. My needs are for critical focus, framing, colour and use in the field to review footage. Any comments would be apreciated as I'm putting in an order tonite at BH.
Glenn Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Trustee

I would say you're probably better off going with the panasonic. Unless you want to buy my marshall. I would love to have a built in waveform monitor, I guess I would want a vectroscope as well, but the question really comes down to how much do you want to spend. I've gotten really good results with the marshall, it makes clients and directors happy. I use it in conjunction with my fu-1000 and haven't had any issues with the overall results. It seems to me (and this may be the same with the panasonic) that it is stretched a little wider then it should be. But it does have blue only and is very easy to mount on a 1/4-20 thread.

The marshall's are I think 2000 bucks with the nebtek adaptation, which is kinda surprising. Where the panasonics are 2200 but you have to plunk another 700 down for an hd-sdi board. Which makes it about %50 more expensive. It seems to me that if you have the 3k to throw down for the marshall that's the better investment, but I can speak from experience that the marshall is pretty good to...
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Glenn,

We have the Panasonic BT-LH900. It's a set up...but I feel you won't be buying a new monitor for many, many years to come.

HDSDI, Component and composite inputs....plus switchable HDSDI inputs...
Waveform and remote control...

We love ours....and use it daily. Just remember...I feel if you use it every day...the extra money is easily spent....AND it 's easy to amortize it.

Just my 2 cents. Plus...we had a bad experience with a Marshall monitor....
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders