The Blackout: Just Wrapped Feature with XLH1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 26th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #31
Starway Pictures

Hey Alain - for the time being I don't have much more than the teaser trailer. We just locked the cut and we're handing it off to the composer this week. We're beginning to tackle the 221 visual effects shots now. With a little luck we'll be done in a couple months.

I'm also working on another teaser trailer and a full-length trailer. But I can't guarantee when those will hit. It's tough doing all the post-production work pretty much solo.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders View Post
Hey Alain - for the time being I don't have much more than the teaser trailer. We just locked the cut and we're handing it off to the composer this week. We're beginning to tackle the 221 visual effects shots now. With a little luck we'll be done in a couple months.

I'm also working on another teaser trailer and a full-length trailer. But I can't guarantee when those will hit. It's tough doing all the post-production work pretty much solo.

Thanks for the info and good luck with the production.
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #33
Starway Pictures

I've just posted a new trailer for our film THE BLACKOUT. It is a more traditional theatrical trailer.

WATCH THE TRAILER HERE

You can also download a 480p and a 720p version.
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Looking really good Robert!
Nice to still have the XLH1; it rocks.

Good luck

Carl
Carl Ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #35
Trustee

That looks really good robert. I'll be excited to see it when it comes out.
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #36
Starway Pictures

Thanks Carl, thanks Nick.

We're in discussions with distributors now. Which is a relief considering that it took a year to get this sucker through post-production. One thing for sure, I'm finding out that bypassing HDV and going straight to hard disk is turning out to be a blessing. I'm finding out that distributors are increasingly weary of accepting projects originated on HDV and will not accept anything on MiniDV. In their opinion (erroneous as it is) HDV is not "true" HD. All we said was, "We shot straight to disk like Fincher did on Zodiac" and they responded, "Fantastic."

I think HD-SDI to IOHD ProRes (or equivalent full raster codec) is the "safest" workflow for smaller 1/3" and 1/2" cameras.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:30 AM   #37
Starway Pictures

We have tickets available for the premiere at The Landmark in West. L.A. if you're interested in attending.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:58 AM   #38
Major Player

The trailer looks great, too bad not showing in Moscow, Russia!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Awesome trailer, and great music... is the score in the preview an original piece or stock music?
John Brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #40
Starway Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brinks View Post
Awesome trailer, and great music... is the score in the preview an original piece or stock music?
Most of the music in the trailer is from the library. However, the score for the movie was done by Justin R. Durban. He did an amazing score for the movie.
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #41
Trustee

Robert,

I'm totally impressed with the trailer on your site. I'm awaiting my XL H1a which comes in on the 23rd and can only hope to some day create something that awsome looking.

The lighting created an intense feel. I shoot with an XH A1 now and had no idea it could produce that clean of an image at low light.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #42
Starway Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Robert,

I'm totally impressed with the trailer on your site. I'm awaiting my XL H1a which comes in on the 23rd and can only hope to some day create something that awsome looking.

The lighting created an intense feel. I shoot with an XH A1 now and had no idea it could produce that clean of an image at low light.

Garrett
And it looks amazing projected 2.35:1 on a theater screen! ;)
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Robert,

Garrett
Garrett, keep in mind that I believe Mr. Sanders used a workflow that incorporated the data stream out of the HD-SDI connected to the HD-SDI input port of a capture card and recorded near uncompressed to a computer hard-drive or raid array. That being said, the well lit HDV out of the H1a and A1 can look pretty darn good in many situations.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
Garrett, keep in mind that I believe Mr. Sanders used a workflow that incorporated the data stream out of the HD-SDI connected to the HD-SDI input port of a capture card and recorded near uncompressed to a computer hard-drive or raid array. That being said, the well lit HDV out of the H1a and A1 can look pretty darn good in many situations.
Yeah, that was one of the things I wrestled with in getting the H1a, but after long analysis I figured I would not be lugging a computer or deck that could take an HD-SDI feed. I've gotten some pretty good results with my A1 in low light but seeing what Robert was able to capture just shows how good the CCD's in the XL/XH series Canons are.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #45
Major Player

Question for Robert

Robert,

Can you tell us a little about sales of the picture? Domestic? International? I'm sure everyone who supports you on this board wants to know how the picture fared in the marketplace, given how difficult the current climate is for independent movies.

Can you tell us with what territories you have sold or got distribution deals? And what problems you have encountered?

Best wishes to you and your cast and crew.

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders