Official Signal Trailer up on Quicktime at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 21st, 2007, 05:00 AM   #1
Trustee

Official Signal Trailer up on Quicktime

Well it's about darn time. Here's a trailer that actually sets up the story and gives you an idea about what the movie is (without ruining any of it, and with music that we won't get sued for) This was the first film shot with an XL-H1 (I believe) and I'm almost positive the first one to get a film out and wide distribution.

Anyhow check out the link and see all of the fun stuff you can do with an xl-h1 and a 35mm adapter.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/thesignal/hd/
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Wow! Amazing, congratulations!
There are couple of shots with blown out whites, but in controlled lighting, oh man looks like it was shot on film (super 16)... Was grain added or is it a result of 35 mm transfer?
The colors look better than any of RED footage I've seen, RED has more resolution though.
Was it shot with P+S 400 series adapter?
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Trustee

Hey oleg,

thanks man, it's been a long journey. I need to check with the directors but I'm pretty sure that's the non-color corrected footage, the film blow up looks a lot better, no blown out whites (I don't think we used that angle from the car) Yeah we used the 400 series adapter I don't think grain was added, but I also think this isn't footage from the transfer I believe this is the raw footage (you can look at the teaser and the shots that match and see the difference.

Red definitely has more resolution, but when we shot it (two years ago) there wasn't even a working red prototype!
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Looks really great!
Carl Ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

WOW......Great images....Congratulations....

- Do you know by any chance what was the productions capturing set up?
- How long did it took in post?
- What was the audio capturing set up?

Your post looks great...

One more question....
- What do you think is better unit, the Red Rock or Mini35?

We work with the XL-H1 and Mini35 but the 300 serires...

Take, care...God Bless You !

Carlos Quinones
It's Written Productions, LLC.
Carlos Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:55 AM   #6
Trustee

I do in fact know the production capturing setup, everything straight to tape, and only tape canon HDV in all of it's glory.

Post I believe lasted from february of 2006 to just before sundance (end of january 2007) much of that was wating for a codec, then working around not having a codec, then recutting and refinishing when excepted to sundance, if everything were to be done again right now it would probably take less then 8 months.

Audio capturing was a mixer feeding the line in of the xl-h1, no seperate reccorder, I don't think this is an ideal solution for anyone that want's to work on their sound in post, the xlr inputs (i'm told by sound guys) are a little noisey. I think ideally we'd record a mix to DAT or CF and then send a reference line out to the camera.

Having never used the redrock I would say the mini 35 but personally I'm hoping someone will release a better option then both. The redrock on to the xl-h1 lens is just too long and the mini 35 sucks a lot of light if only canon would release a 35mm ef adapter... (I'm going to try and mention that on every post I do, in fact I think I'm changing my signature to it until it happens)
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:08 AM   #7
Major Player

I wish you and your team the best at the box office!
This film shows that you don't need the camera with most resolution to tell the story and create convincing cinematic language that can be shown in theaters worldwide (do not know if we get it in Russia) and stay there with high budget productions! Amazing! Real inspiration!
Could you elaborate in details on filming: how many days, prep, editing, etc.
Most of the dialogue, was it re-recorder in studio?
Maybe there is a blog somewhere, I missed your first post and followup.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Great, great, really great looking footage. Is this done with a XL H1! Maybe I should cancel the RED ;-). Keep on rocking! // J
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom

Last edited by Jonas Nystrom; December 22nd, 2007 at 06:14 PM.
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

How are you Nick...

I great to know a real thing could be done with the system we got.

Nick, do know what was the real budget for The Signal?

According to IMBD the budget was $5,210,000.00

Here is the link
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780607/business

I will like to know how can I get a project together...What do you sugest me?

Take Care...

Thanks,

Carlos Quinones
It's Written Productions, LLC.
Carlos Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Trustee

That budget is really really off, PM me if you've got some questions on what can be done.

p's
nick
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #11
Starway Pictures

The IMDB numbers probably represent a lot of things.

1. The original cost of the production (which, I believe, was under $1M);
2. the cost of the film's acquisition (which was around $2.5M);
3. Plus any additional costs Magnolia Pictures probably put into the movie (probably a full 5.1 discreet mix, color correction for film output and a separate grade for digital cinema, and any spruced upped visual effects, licensing of any music or songs, etc.).

All of that probably adds up to the $5.2M number IMDB is posting.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Awesome stuff, will definitely be one of the people who sees it in the theaters. Quick questions, why are there flickers of a movie I saw in the 2003 48 Film Festival, with the deaf girl walking away from a nerdy maniac, the other girl was blind, and then she was hammered on the head with a music ball. If that was made by you guys as well that was a great one :) but what is it doing in the trailer? Good LUCK!!!!
Dmitry Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #13
Trustee

ha! That's hap hapgood, pop films submission for the 48 hour film festival. It's the very beginning of the signal and represents a "bad" horror that the characters are watching on tv. (the directors may have an artsier answer but that's my take)
Old December 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hehe that's right; Hap Hapgood that was pretty funny, the upbeat music at the end :) So the same guys made The Signal as well? Awesome. Well congrats again.
Dmitry Yun is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders