1080/60i 4:2:2 HD-SDI output - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 16th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #31
New Boot

hd-sdi vs. tape cont.....

So if the sensor is only 1440x1080, then HD-SDI 4:2:2 8bit colorspace is actually uprezed and not true. I thought the physical size of the sensor was 1920x1080 1/3". Threads that I have read state the H1 as a higher rez (by sensor) than Sony or Pani, not including the EX Sony.
Also, I understood the HDV standard is 1440x1080 4:2:0.

Is this true?:

Canon compresses the signal captured by the sensor (1920x1080 4:2:2) to HDV 1440x1080 4:2:0 to tape. Therefore the signal is resampled to fake that compressed resolution and colorspace to be interpolated to stretch and fill a 1920x1080 4:2:0 colorspace when sent to computer by SDI.
If this is the case would there not be an issue with artifacts and banding? Why is the signal much better when output to Blu-ray? If the resolution is not there, then it cannot be stretched and produce a cleaner and better result. My workflow as mentioned earlier in this thread also seems to have more color info as the signal results in an uncompromised gradation in the colores from dark to light w/o banding. In theory according to what is being said here this should not be so. Only in pure HD-SDI 4:2:2.

Finally, I have read the HDV standard, read lit on Canon and I see no specifications stated anywhere as to what is truely going on.

Thanks to all for patience as I try to get a clear understanding in a theory or factual statements that back up my obvious results.

thx
troy
Troy Aitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #32
New Boot

hd-sdi vs. tape cont.....

http://dvinfo.net/canonxlh1/articles/article06.php

just found this article by Chris
Troy Aitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #33
Trustee

Troy, uprezing performed by the camera can make the picture look better. One very concrete reason is that your NLE will recognize the color as 10-bit, even though only 8 bits are significant. But during color corrections, those additional two bits are used when storing the new color values. So while you start out with eight bit color, the various color effects you add are not limited to 8 bits but are rather allowed to expand to ten bits.

HDV uprezing by the camera will not look as good as uncompressed, but it is entirely possible that it looks noticeably better than HDV.

Those who say you can't get more than what you put in are not being entirely accurate. Uprezing in one form or another is beneficially used in video all the time. Examples include pixel shifting and in camera sharpening. They do actually improve what you put in. In fact, many forms of digital signal processing that the camera performs are variants of uprezing.

You discovered a good improvement over just using HDV directly into the NLE ;). And people are noticing similar results with the HV-20 capturing HDV out of the HDMI port instead of the Firewire one. So I have no reason to doubt what you're saying. It makes sense.

Of course, uncompressed will look considerably better.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #34
New Boot

Hd-sdi

Cool!

That works for me. Thanks alot, I appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Troy
Troy Aitken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders