DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Is the H1 or HVX200 better at recording motion? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/114087-h1-hvx200-better-recording-motion.html)

Nelson Maldonado February 5th, 2008 10:05 PM

Is the H1 or HVX200 better at recording motion?

Hi,

I'm still trying to decide on which camera to buy; XL-H1 or HVX200P or XDCAM EX 1 HD. Until then, i thought i'd just rent two for an up coming dance show.

My question is whether the H1 or HVX200 better at capturing hip hop style dancing (fast motion) going direct to disk on my pc?

I'll go either; SDI out of the H1 or firewire out of the HVX into my PC.

The 1 camera will not be panning, just keeping the dancers framed. The other camera will pan the dancers with medium shots.

I'm leaning toward the H1 because i'll be able to simultainiously record to tape be maintain a backup in case the capture to computer gives me trouble.

Joachim Hoge February 6th, 2008 07:02 AM

We just shot some action sports (new skool skiers doing handrails) using both a my H1 and a friends HVX 200 recording to P2 cards.
They both record action well. Hard to say if one is better than the other for action. They just have a different look in my eye.

With the H1 you donīt have the possibility to shoot over cranked (slo-mo), but it has a very clean and detailed image.

Nelson Maldonado February 6th, 2008 10:03 AM

Hello,

I'm concerned about image breakup or blocking during action. The edited dance show will be converted to BlueRay DVD.

Did you record to tape or sdi with the H1?

Also, would it be possible to provide me with about a minute of video - showing action and motion - from each camera? I have an ftp server you can download them to if that would be convenient.

Joachim Hoge February 6th, 2008 10:07 AM

HDV to tape on the H1. I could download some H1 clips. Unfortunatly I donīt have the HVX clips. The other cameraman is away shooting and he has them

Nelson Maldonado February 6th, 2008 10:55 AM

I would appreciate getting some clips. Thanks!

The ftp server info:
address: ftp.nados.com
login: public
password: nms

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Also, i read that the SDI output does not include the audio. Is this correct?

Peter Ralph February 6th, 2008 11:45 AM

a heavier camera will give you a more stable image - not a big issue unless there is a lot of camera movement

Joachim Hoge February 6th, 2008 12:27 PM

Iīm exporting a clip to Quicktime now. Iīll try to upload it. Iīve never done it before, how do I do it?

Joachim Hoge February 6th, 2008 01:36 PM

I think I figured it out. I downloaded Cyberduck and I think I´m uploading to your server now.
It´s a .mov file.
The last shot in slo-mo is slowed down and de-interlaced in FCP.
I shot it at F2.0 and shutter 1/50 (I´m in PAL land) due the the low light levels at night.
Gain is 0
Normally I would have shot it at 1/100
Please let me know if it worked

PS File is called Skuirailshort

Nelson Maldonado February 6th, 2008 01:49 PM

Joachim - Yes, i got it, thanks!

I just love our world community. Speaking, collaborating and getting to know each other from all parts of this world. I just wish and pray we could all get along better - in peace.

Anyway... the footage is just fantastically clear! However, i did notice that during camera or subject motion, the image and/or subject goes wavy. Is that what you see?

Peter,

The cameras will on tripods for the entire show.

Joachim Hoge February 6th, 2008 01:54 PM

Hi Nelson
I experienced what you see the first time I watched the quicktimemovie. I closed it and re opened it and it played fine. I do see some "saw-tooth" jagged edges, which is due to the quicktime compression.
Note: If you look closely at the second to last shot you can see the other camera man in the left corner sliding across as he is standing on a dolly!!

Joachim Hoge February 6th, 2008 01:56 PM

How much light will it be on your shoot?
Can you controll it?

The HVX200 has the worst low light performance of the 3 cameras.
The H1 is ok, but I heard the EX1 holds up really well (due to larger chip). It rates around ASA 800 they say

When I look at the footage in FCP it has absolutly no waveyness and motion looks smother than in the Quicktime file

Nelson Maldonado February 6th, 2008 02:01 PM

Joachim,

I know its a lot to ask, but can you ftp me the footage in raw and/or avi?

Joachim Hoge February 6th, 2008 02:04 PM

Itīs ok, Iīll try.
Iīm learning more about post production doing this so itīs good for me.
Give me a little time and Iīll see what I can do. Iīll try avi I think

Joachim Hoge February 6th, 2008 02:09 PM

I´m making an avi file now without compression, settings at best.
If you have any input in the settings department, I´m all ears

Ops. A 6 second clip ended up as 4.55Gb. I will try another setting

Joachim Hoge February 6th, 2008 02:32 PM

Now I canīt upload anylonger.
I made an avi file, but it was compressed to DV-PAL. Didnīt look good.
Iīm trying to use Compressor now