Green screen for Disney with XL-H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #1
Tourist

Green screen for Disney with XL-H1

Thought I would share some work we recently did for Disney and the Muppets. We were hired to shoot original footage for the new Muppets web site (www.muppets.com) All footage was shot with the XLH1 against a green screen. We were really happy with the keys, especially since the Muppets have feathers, fur, etc. There are many video clips to look at, you have to click around.

All footage was shot at 24F with the 6X wide angle lens. We used Shake to drop the green screen. All of the finished footage was then encoded to Flash for the site.
Annika Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Annika, thanks for sharing with us!

Did you record to tape or did you record through the HD-SDI out of the camera (RAW)? Did you use the camera in default settings or have you created a custom preset for this particular task? I am eager to find out!
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #3
Tourist

We shot with two XLH1's, each with Matte Boxes and Follow Focus. There was a focus puller working with each camera operator. We had some good Marshall 7" HD monitors mounted on the cameras, we used the HD-SDI output from the H1 for the monitors and we recorded HDV using Sony Digital Master tapes.

As far as presets; we set each camera to the Panavision preset that I found here on the DVinfo site. We edited in Final Cut and used the "Color" application for color correction. Disney wanted the colors to "pop" especially the green in Kermit.
Annika Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #4
Major Player

congrats! I would love to work with Disney, did you find them or did they find you?

Please post your website, I would like to see more of your work.
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Annika,
Congratulations, that looks like it must have been so much fun to do. Would love to know how you landed the job, with a back story though.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Trustee

Could you possibly post the direct url to the download. I was redirected to the main sight and don't have the time to navigate to the footage you speak about.

Thanks!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Access Denied!

Hi Annika
Please place a link to some footage outside the muppet web site - as the muppets in control won't allow access to the muppet site from outside the USA.
Thanks
Dave
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Dave, typ "proxy" in google.com go to the first result and enter the muppets url there. That way, you can view the site from outside the USA.

I don't know why someone keeps deleting this as there is nothing illegal about using such a site. So I hope you will be able to read this.
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

was it blue or green?
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Floris
Never used such before and it did getme there after the fifth attemp.
Amusing that once at the disney home page I could not find anything about muppets - but thanks for the lesson on proxies, might come in handy in the future.
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #11
Major Player

Dave, there is a link there to the muppets. One of the icons in the navigational picture. They are there, I needed to look a little bit better too!
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM   #12
Regular Crew

was it bluescreen or greenscreen because i am looking to do a kids puppet show for my public access network and a lot of work is on "cartoon land" and need to get a good key?
David Aronson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders