24f Ghosting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 26th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

24f Ghosting

Hello gang,

I'm finally starting to switch to a 24p(f) workflow and have discovered that there is a setting(s) that creates extreme ghosting and trails. I created my own Custom Preset and have not had good results. I switched to AC PREF1 from the library here at DVinfo and get much better results. I'm also trying to get a cool somber look like the outdoor scenes in Children of Men.

Could anyone tell me which settings to be careful with, to avoid ghosting?

Attached is a screen shot of the settings that I came up with, and Alister Chapmans settings for CP #1 in the library.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
24f Ghosting-picture-1.png   24f Ghosting-picture-2.png  

Old February 26th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Sounds like the noise reductions in the Custom Preset menu.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #3
Major Player

So should I not use the noise reduction?
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Wrangler

Would be helpful to see a frame grab or short clip so we don't misunderstand what you're seeing. Could be NR1 one if there is a lot of motion in low light, and you're using it. Going to the Advanced Search page and looking for NR1 in this forum will provide a lot of reading on the subject. Here's a start:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....9&postcount=10
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=84881
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=80396
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....03&postcount=8

Also, what shutter speed are you using? You'd expect that the slower shutter speeds typically used with 24fps shooting are going to give you more motion blur and accentuate the NR1 ghosting. Another gotcha is that using the Cine settings for gamma and color matrix requires greater exposure, and I believe to a lesser extent the same is true for the negative values in the color gains and matrices so if you're struggling with inadquate lighting, might be the lesser of evils to avoid those, even if it means some additional tweaking in post.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Peter and Daniel. I'm working on some new presets without NR1 and will let you know what happens. In the mean time, I've posted some screen shots and video clips at www.cartermedia.tv/DVinfo_samples

The movie clips are HDV 24p out of FCP Studio 2. The footage was shot in 24f using a Redrock Micro with a Nikon Nikkor S 50mm set at f2.

Camera settings:

Sequence_3_dp.mov and Sequence_3_dp2.mov - AE Shift 0, shutter 1/100, exposure locked and then +1

Sequence_3_dp3.mov - same as above but with shutter at 1/60 and AE Shift +.5

The ghosting is very apparent in red highlights and people's faces. The faces look like they are melting off. Kind of like Tom Cruise's face when he takes that shot in Minority Report. Also notice ghosting in the arm in Sequence_3_dp3.png.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.
Attached Thumbnails
24f Ghosting-sequence_3_dp1.png   24f Ghosting-sequence_3_dp2.png  

24f Ghosting-sequence_3_dp3.png  
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Trustee

is skin detail on?
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Major Player

All Skin Detail settings are at default with the Detail setting off.

Hue - 0
Chroma - 0
Area - 0
Y Level - 0
Skin Detail - off
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Turn off Noise Reduction 1.

This will cause ghosting in low-light conditions.

Do not use Noise Reduction 1 unless you are locked down on a tripod. It is even better to avoid this at all times.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #9
Trustee

Dan's absolutely right. I didn't look at the settings before I asked my question. Turn of NR1 and then see if ghosting is still there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders