Which field monitor are you using? What monitor to buy. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #16
Major Player

Craig, I haven't looked at it but I don't think it will be suited for me. From what I have read, it is a bit cheap (although ok resolution). I want to buy a monitor that will last at least five years and I am unsure if the Ikan will.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Floris I could be wrong but I think that the IKAN comes with a 5 year warranty but check .

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #18
Major Player

Floris...
I sent you these photos...due to a small "glitch" in posting...that's resolved.

Okay...

We use a Noga arm. Heavy weight one. If you're using a standard "sony style" camera plate...you'll have room at the end to attach the arm...then the monitor. If you're using the Canon plate...not so easy. It's too small to attach the arm.

Balancing is a bit tricky...but it works. This is good for studio shoots or tight areas.

We had the fine folks at Matthews make us this monitor adapter. It attaches to any C stand or light stand. You can tilt the monitor in just about any direction with ease. This was a "custom" job we made up at NAB last year. This was about 100.00 US. Honestly...we use this about 90% of the time. With the weight of an Anton Bauer (and we have the TrimPak 14's)...that monitor gets heavy. FYI ...I believe the Pana's come with Gold mounts from AB...standard.

Another suggestion...get a small portable powersupply if you go with the Panasonics. They have the 4 pin connectors for power. Not just a +/- tip plug. Usually you would use a camera power supply....but there are a few (I think) companies making small powersupplies.....think laptop power supply.

http://www.minipunch.com/ Makes one...and we've been happy with it....Lightweight and just plugs in. Saves alot of weight and battery power.

Hope this helps ! :)
Attached Thumbnails
Which field monitor are you using? What monitor to buy.-dsc02838.jpg   Which field monitor are you using? What monitor to buy.-dsc02839.jpg  

Which field monitor are you using? What monitor to buy.-dsc02840.jpg   Which field monitor are you using? What monitor to buy.-dsc02841.jpg  

Which field monitor are you using? What monitor to buy.-dsc02842.jpg  
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I'm wondering, (I've never tried this but) What problems would you run into if you used your standard small lcd hd tv as a field monitor? especially if you had plenty of time and room to set up your shots. I'm thinking of buying one just for this purpose and putting it in a lightweight box frame so I can just turn it over when using a lens adapter. I know I must be overlooking something, what is it?
Joe Batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:05 AM   #20
Major Player

Joe, those monitors can be used for focussing and framing (I believe) but not for color calibration. Also, these LCD monitors you normally use for your computer do not have any focus assist/peaking options, nor do they have waveforms, so they are not completely up to the task. But for focussing, I guess they are perfect. The only thing is that most of the 1080p monitors are 24" so you will be dragging a big heavy monitor with you. And I doubt you are supposed to flip them but I might be wrong.
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #21
Regular Crew

thanks for the insight, I never considered the posibility of damage caused by flipping it over. It's just an attractive idea because it's so cheap!
Joe Batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #22
Major Player

I think I am going to buy the Carrion monitor as it has great resolution, great features and is half the price of the large Panasonic. That ones has a waveform monitor but that's about the only big advantage.

But now I have to find a way to mount this field monitor to the camera.

Does the Noga arm screw into a 1/4" mounting hole?

http://store.zacuto.com/product.php?...&cat=84&page=1

There are two free holes of the back of my Canon tripod adapter plate. If I can screw a Noga arm or Zacuto arm in one of those holes, I think I will be able to mount the camera there. Another option I am looking at at this moment is to buy a handheld Zacuto system but I am not sure how that will work for handheld. You get two grips, so you also need a lanc controller I guess in order to be able to use it handheld.

This is not as easy as I thought it would be.
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #23
Major Player

Kevin, does your Panasonic support 1080/25F? I am looking at the specifications of the BT-LH80W and it supports 1080/50i , 23,98Psf and 24Psf... is the 25F on the XL-H1 the same as 50i?
Old May 4th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #24
Major Player

I believe only the LH 900 does...only with the sdi or hdsdi input...

I've attached the specs for the monitors with a jpg....
Attached Thumbnails
Which field monitor are you using? What monitor to buy.-monitor-specs.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders