XL2 SD Lenses on XL H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 SD Lenses on XL H1

Hi,
Apologies ahead of time if this has been covered recently but after an afternoon of searching this forum, the newest discussion I found on the subject was from about a year ago. I've owned and used my faithful XL2 for several years now and am continuously impressed by it. I'm soon to be moving up to HD for a project(s) and would love to stay with the Canon line. For those of you who may be using the SD lenses with the XL H1, are you happy with the results? I have the 3X, 16X and 20X.
many thanks in advance,
ST
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Major Player

I have used the 3x and the 16x black colored manual on two TV movies over the past 12 months - that's in addition to the stock 20x lens and we have all been happy with the results.

I know that people scream about how the 3x and the 16x are not "Hi Def lenses", but, when all the material is intercut, I can't tell the difference and - more importantly - I have had no problems with QC for Lifetime TV and others and these films got through the QC at Fotokem without any issue.

The 16x is excellent, considering how difficult it is to focus on the 20x since there are no barrel markings, and the 3x is great for confined spaces like the interiors of cars.

Best

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi harry,

Many thanks for getting back to me on this. That's just what I was hoping to hear. I'm sure there'll be other opinions but your's is truly field tested!
Thanks again,
ST
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Please take a look at my thread, shot with X14 full manual lens, I find the
colors have more contrast and aperture stays the same 1.7
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115598
Direct link:
http://olegkalyan.ru/_Quicktime/IrinaIgor2008.mov

Last edited by Oleg Kalyan; April 15th, 2008 at 11:23 AM.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Oleg,

Thanks for that. Beautiful footage and excellent job of editing. From what Harry said and and what you've showed me I'm relieved to know I'll be sticking with the Canon line!

Thanks again,

ST
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders