Using XL H1(A/S) on a Steadicam Pilot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 4th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using XL H1(A/S) on a Steadicam Pilot

Has anyone tried using an XL H1, XL H1A or an XL H1S or even an XL2 for that matter on a steadicam Pilot? I know the speks for the pilot states that it can handle the weight BUT does it do a good job with that size of a camera?

Can't really afford the flyer.

Thank you.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Major Player

It's rated for 10lbs....If you keep the camera stripped (no on-board,matte box,follow focus), you'll be fine. The Flyer is rated to 18lbs but the price goes from around $3700 to about $7000.

Jim Martin
Birns & Sawyer Inc
"At the ArcLight"
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Major Player

I have used my XL-H1 on my pilot 4 times now. (Just got the pilot 2 weeks ago and been busy shooting other tuff)

I took of the veiwfinder and mic and added some weights to the bottom part and it´s very close to the limit of what the rig can handle, but due to this it´s very smooth to operate as opposed to a lighter set up.

The pilot handles the camera very well (I have used it with an EX-1 as well)
I can really recommend the Pilot for you, it´s an excellent piece of equipment for the price. Feels totaly professional.

I also didn´t find it too difficult to get the dynamic balance right either, and reading different forums I was really worried about that.

Go a head and get it.

PS I should add that I use the AA-batteries, not ID-X or other. This takes some weight away
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Joachim, thats exactly the feedback i was looking for to help make a decision, now all i have to do is save up a bit more money and just buy myself the pilot.

Cheers
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm happy to hear that. I have to admit I was worried the first time I tried to set up the arm and had to turn the load springs almost to the max to make it "fly" and not drop. But it turned out very well. I advice you to buy a stand as well, otherwise it is very difficult to. Set it up. I ordered a afeasizfand from b&h, but got a c-stand instead by mistake. Both works, but steadistand is lighter.
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Major Player

I bought the pilot and almost immediately traded it in for the Flyer, which is, as you know, more expensive but infinitely better.

IT TAKES TIME to learn to operate a Steadicam. My DP went to a Steadicam Bootcamp and told me that almost everyone had models from the Flyer upwards.

Best

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders