Pulldown Flags in HD-SDI request at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Pulldown Flags in HD-SDI request

Does anyone know who I can contact specifically at Canon about trying to get Canon to release a firmware update for the XL H1S to allow it to have pulldown flags in its HD-SDI output (like the new XH G1S)?

AJA just released a firmware update to their IO HD which allows reverse telecine on the fly upon capture of the 60i HD-SDI signal, if it has the flags like the XH G1S does. This is huge for me as I capture the uncompressed stream a lot on larger shoots and I hate spending the time doing all the reversing in post.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Starway Pictures

Flags are VERY important. I'm surprised the H1S doesn't have them in the output.

I spent a month converting all the footage on my feature. It was a major pain. You can do batch conversion using Compressor. But Compressor clips whites above 100IRE (not good). Cinema Tools is the only app I know of that doesn't f*ck with the picture when removing redundant fields. But it has to be done by hand, shot by shot.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Major Player

I know ... I use Cinema Tools to do this too. It's easy, but its so tedious and time consuming when you have a lot of material.

Do you know anyone Robert that I can contact at Canon (besides their standard email support) about suggesting implementing this?
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Starway Pictures

I sent an email to my muckity muck over there.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Robert.

Surely, this should be a fairly easy thing to implement via firmware. It's not like I'm asking for a new 35mm sized sensor *wink wink*
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

So Canon can't make a revision so that owners that paid almost $10K for the XL H1 can get flags to get true 24p(f) via the AjA i/O HD? Do they care or is it too costly for the company?
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Dillard View Post
So Canon can't make a revision so that owners that paid almost $10K for the XL H1 can get flags to get true 24p(f) via the AjA i/O HD? Do they care or is it too costly for the company?
I would think it is something very easy to do via firmware. Its only adding flag data to the stream.

This would be such a big help ... I hope Canon is listening here!
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders