DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Need to shoot timelapse in HD with my H1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/141937-need-shoot-timelapse-hd-my-h1.html)

Mark Job January 20th, 2009 12:52 AM

Need to shoot timelapse in HD with my H1

Hi fellow XL H1 users. I urgently need to shoot several key timelapse connector scenes for our half hour Web Tv series, but the H1 has no stop motion setting :-( I sure miss this feature which used to be on the XL1s. Can anyone offer a timelapse solution which operates in the full resolution of the H1 ?

Per Johan Naesje January 20th, 2009 01:29 AM

Mark,
if you don't want to speed up in post, there's no solution available today AFAIK!

But Convergent Design's Flash XDR will do it, when they have this finished in a future firmware upgrade. In this case you must have the H1 model with HD/SDI and there is an additional cost for the Flash XDR unit of course!

Mick Jenner January 20th, 2009 06:51 AM

Hi,
Like Per, I have to agree there is no way it can be done in camera. But I do believe (I stand to be corrected) you could use the Sony HVR-MRC1. See this thread in the XH forums

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xh-...non-users.html

I believe it can be set up for single frame capture. Although it would only be HDV and not full HD it is a cheaper option than Convergent Designs.

Regards

Mick

David W. Jones January 20th, 2009 06:53 AM

Use a DSLR for your time lapse work.

Garrett Low January 20th, 2009 09:24 AM

The HVR-MRC1 can only do the interval recording in DV or DVCAM mode. It can't interval capture HDV.

Garret

Mark Job January 20th, 2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 997979)
The HVR-MRC1 can only do the interval recording in DV or DVCAM mode. It can't interval capture HDV.

Garret

....Garret, how much does the HVR-MRC1 cost ?

Garrett Low January 20th, 2009 12:26 PM

B&H has it for $885. It doesn't come with a battery or CF card so plan on having to buy those. But for batteries I surprisingly found a replacement battery at Radio Shack of all places that works great. I shot with it for over 9 hours without even seeing any change in the battery meter.

I got mine off of that evil auction site for $700 and it included a Sony 300X UDMA CF card.

Garrett

Mark Job January 20th, 2009 12:41 PM

Cool ! Thanks for the info Garret :-)

Ken Diewert January 20th, 2009 10:20 PM

I'm pretty sure that time lapse is unavailable in all HDV cams because of the GOP. It's not just the XLH.

Mark Job January 20th, 2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Diewert (Post 998271)
I'm pretty sure that time lapse is unavailable in all HDV cams because of the GOP. It's not just the XLH.

...You're right. I was always figuring I would have to use some kind of external recording solution. I want go straight for the Flash XDR, but it's a bit pricey for our Web Tv series production budget right now.

Daniel Epstein January 21st, 2009 09:39 AM

If you are going to use the H1 you might as well just roll tape or Harddrive the whole time and then do the speed up in post. A while back I used both my Digital SLR and H1 on the same subject for an hour long timelapse. The Digital SLR looked much better than the H1 but the H1 results were still very good. The advantage of the still camera was longer exposure times but the H1 had many more frames which gives you some more flexibility in motion.

Mark Job January 21st, 2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Epstein (Post 998448)
If you are going to use the H1 you might as well just roll tape or Harddrive the whole time and then do the speed up in post. A while back I used both my Digital SLR and H1 on the same subject for an hour long timelapse. The Digital SLR looked much better than the H1 but the H1 results were still very good. The advantage of the still camera was longer exposure times but the H1 had many more frames which gives you some more flexibility in motion.

.....Hmmm, I think rolling for an hour, then speeding it up in post will work for some of the short timelapse shots I need to get, but one is for the beginning of the episode, which is a sunrise over the city of Montreal from a full nightime state. I could buy a whole bunch of cassettes and just roll all night, but I don't think this would be practical. I don't think I have enough batteries for my XL H1 for that ?

Chris Soucy January 21st, 2009 05:02 PM

Hi............

Why not go the easy route and simply invest in Canon Console?

It can do what you want standing on it's head, apparently.

Let's talk about the "CONSOLE" program from Canon.... - The Digital Video Information Network

There's a 14 day free trial of it lurking on a Canon server near you.

CS

Edit:

Bugger.

Having just RTFM'ed the V1.0 & V1.1 manual, it seems Console will NOT do frame/ interval mode in either HDV or 24p, and I can find no mention of being able to control photo mode either.

Not as "all singing and dancing" as it first seemed.

Seems a glaring omission.

As you were, guys.

Steve Phillipps January 22nd, 2009 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 997908)
Use a DSLR for your time lapse work.

Seconded, use a DSLR, you can then use it for stills too!
The other benefit of using DSLR is that you have SO MUCH resolution that you can then do moves in post (ie panning along the image while the tl is running), giving a cheap and simple motion control timelapse!

As for HDV cams not being able to do tl because of long GOP, I don't think that's the case as the XDCams will do it and they're long GOP too. I think it's just down to how they record the image, so the ones capable of it do it by going through a cache chip first. I'm no expert though, I just know that the XDCams do it so it's not GOP and the HDCams do it so it's not tape.

Steve

Stuart Graham January 22nd, 2009 04:17 AM

I used my SLR for time lapse and got great results. But the advantage of using some camcorders is that they have built in ND filters which are great if there are large changes in light levels during the time lapse recording. And if you have a camcorder with these filters, you don't have an SLR and there's a way of firing the camcorder with an intervalometer it might be cheaper than buying an SLR and ND filters.