HDV Artifacting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #1
New Boot

HDV Artifacting?

I've tried shooting with the XH A1s HDV input via firewire. Looks great, but when in color correct in Final Cut, I get artifacting. Looks like about every 8 frames or so. Looks like a bit of strobing on the colors. I don't see it until I export to Compressor and burn in DVDSP. I really see it in DVD playback freezeframing. Watching on a high quality DLP. I'm afraid to treat any of my video due to this problem. Anybody else notice this? Also, any thoughts on how HDV works in low light compared to SD?
Thanks, Mike
Mike Greif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greif View Post
I've tried shooting with the XH A1s HDV input via firewire. Looks great, but when in color correct in Final Cut, I get artifacting. Looks like about every 8 frames or so. Looks like a bit of strobing on the colors. I don't see it until I export to Compressor and burn in DVDSP. I really see it in DVD playback freezeframing. Watching on a high quality DLP. I'm afraid to treat any of my video due to this problem. Anybody else notice this? Also, any thoughts on how HDV works in low light compared to SD?
Thanks, Mike
Mike,
Not sure how to test this out. Are you saying you don't see this if you don't color correct? Are you converting the HDV to Apple Intermediate or Pro Rez? You will have to run some tests to see if the problem is Final Cuts Handling of the HDV or whether it is the HDV source.
As for HDV Vs SD in Low light the camera sensors is the most obvious issue and the 1/3 inch HD sensor is usually about a stop and a half slower than a comparable SD chip. HTH
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Starway Pictures

I'm having trouble understanding the problem. In my opinion the HDV footage produced by my XLH1 is very gradable (though you can't push it as far as uncompressed).
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Trustee

The every 8 frames thing sounds odd too, like there is some type of interpolation going on with the footage when you edit it. Regardless this doesn't sound right. HDV has limitations but this doesn't sound like one of them, at tleast the way you describe it.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the replys. Yes, I do not see it viewing the same clip that is not color corrected. I don't see it in the timeline, only during playback after exporting. I'll do futher testing and try to give you clearer steps. I am not converting. I'm shooting HDV 60i and using the HDV Easy SetUp in FCP. Thanks.
Mike Greif is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders