Canon XL H1 picture sharpness and vivid colors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 24th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Canon XL H1 picture sharpness and vivid colors

Hello All, I am new to DV Info and looking for some help from all of you experts. I owned a JVC GY-HD200U for about 2 years and enjoyed it. Just recently I upgraded to Canon XL H1A for my business. I have been shooting with camera and like the quality over all but I am not able to get the results same as JVC's picture quality and colors by default. On Canon the picture quality is good but I cannot make the picture sharp and crisp. I have tried many settings but still I cannot get sharpness. Picture is very clear but very soft at the same time. Other issue I am having is with the color settings. I am looking for vivid colors settings. I shoot Indian weddings which are very very colorful and my clients want to see all the colors. Can someone please advise me how to get sharp/crisp picture with vivid colors or guide me towards a preset that someone has? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Dil Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Have you adjusted the back focus? check the manual for the instructions on this. Also a few threads down they discussed this issue.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Starway Pictures

I would definitely trying downloading some of the presets from this site. Try the presets from Stephen Dempsey (disjecta) called Panalook.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks John. Yes I have already adjusted the back focus and it is fine. Please don’t get me wrong, the quality of the picture is okay but I would like it more if it was sharper with vivid colors.
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders View Post
I would definitely trying downloading some of the presets from this site. Try the presets from Stephen Dempsey (disjecta) called Panalook.
Thanks Robert, I will definitely try the presets and let you know about the results.
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Major Player

As Mr. Sanders stated, the 'out of the box' look of video with the H1 is rather flat and dullish. But when you apply the wide range of customer presets you can greatly affect the look. I also recommend Steve Dempsey's presets to warm up colors and deepen them

You can also play around with the presets yourself in the menu to get just the looks you personally are going for.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #7
Starway Pictures

Yeah, the difference between the "out of the box" look and one that is "tuned" is...WOW!
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Good evening,

If I recal, the reason they come out a bit flat oout of the box is so that thery is more area to move in post. The xl2 was the same.

Having 6 presets available one should not have to do that at all and have presets for what ever he is about to encounter and have it closer right out of the camera.

Which by the way, is the way we were taught to shoot film.
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks guys. I got it to work with my own settings.
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #10
New Boot

Can someone please tell me that under Custom Preset Parameters , what does setting “Black stretch/Black press” do? I am trying to make blacks darker/richer. What values should I increase/decrease? Thanks.
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dil Singh View Post
Can someone please tell me that under Custom Preset Parameters , what does setting “Black stretch/Black press” do? I am trying to make blacks darker/richer. What values should I increase/decrease? Thanks.
,,,,Hi Dil. Black Stretch *increases* the amount of detail visible in the shadow and darker areas of your image. Black Press *decreases* the amount of detail visible in the blacks and shadow areas of your image. Dil, try out the ""OLEGWARM" by Oleg Kalyan" in the XL H1 Presets library on this website. The preset is called,

"PRESET13.CPF: OLEGWARM -- warm, saturated and film-like when combined with Skin Detail: Middle."

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl-...d-library.html (Middle of Page)
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #12
New Boot

Low lighting shooting

Hello DV Info Expersts,

I am doing a wedding job this weekend. This will be heppening at a hotel and I am pretty sure that lighting will be low. Is there is a preset for low lighting shooting that I can use?

Thanks to all in advance.
Dil Singh
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Starway Pictures

Switch to 1/24th shutter BEFORE you start pushing the gain above +3db. You get a little more motion blur but you avoid the noise floor. And for a wedding video I don't think a little extra motion blur is a deal breaker (like it would be for narrative work).

When indoors try to avoid filtration as much as possible as you usually lose some light.
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #14
Trustee

Also, if you are using any of the presets that really crush the blacks or the pedestal is lowered, you might want to turn this off. I use the "Disjecta" preset which is great for well lit scenes, but find I gain about a stop of light back when I turn it off. I have a CP where I use the default camera settings but I change the knee setting to allow for better latitude. This is not ideal for every circumstance and doesn't yiled great color but when covering an event in average to low light it helps. Since it is so dim anyway you aren't getting very brilliant colors anyway. If you are shooting in 30P or 60i use the 1/30th shutter speed also.

Good Luck
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #15
Starway Pictures

Good advice Marty. Turning off the presets that crush black should really help.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders