Canon XL-H1 Standard Def - Component Out vs Firewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Tourist

Canon XL-H1 Standard Def - Component Out vs Firewire

I recently shot some material in SD @ 24 fps on my Canon XL-H1, and have noticed a large different in quality between watching the footage off the camera via component out and watching it once imported through firewire.

When I imported it through firewire with Final Cut it has some pretty bad interlacing, jagged edges, and just in general the quality is reduce quite a bit when exported to DVD.

Am I just imagining that the component out looks better? If not, is there some way to export via component out rather than firewire? Finally, is there anything I could be doing to improve the quality of the firewire imported footage?

Thanks
Luke
Luke Hansen-MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Trustee

That doesn't compute; firewire is simply a transfer of digital information from the tape or camera to your computer; the analog outputs are conversions from that info. Might look at how your digital information is being translated to dvd first; if you are taking the hdv signal via firewire there is a compression to dvd, which is (unless Blu-Ray) a sd medium... /B Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, it sounds to me like you are capturing with the wrong settings.

Footage from the firewire port is a 1:1 transfer.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The Firewire signal is HDV 4.2.0 color space. The HD-SDI out is 4.2.2 color space, so if you can capture the HD-SDI it would be a clean signal. It won't have any audio on the H1, not sure about the H1S.
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Well the HD-SDI would only be 4:2:2 if you capture it live. If he is capturing from a tape through HD-SDi, it'll still be 4:2:0 within the 4:2:2 stream.

The H1S does have embedded audio in it's HD-SDI.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #6
New Boot

Luke,

I would really recommend in the future that you capture HDV and then down-convert in post.

I think you would have much better results as the XL H1 was never truly designed to provide decent footage captured in SD.
Erin Wiedner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders