Two video outputs from XL H1s - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 4th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #16
Major Player

I'll add another voice for SDI--its a professional format designed to travel long distances. I think it may be hard to get a camera's RGB to go that far, although this is just a guess on my part.

But check the prices of those AJA/Miranda/whatever adapters: they don't come cheap! Perhaps it might be cheaper to get an SDI capable monitor--unless you already have a good HD but non-SDI model.
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #17
New Boot

Thanks Andy,

I agree... it seems like running SDI over 100 ft cable would be easier/safer/cheaper. And, if I can loop it to other devices, it's even better.

The SDI-component/HDMI adapters seem to be in the $500 range. I've only briefly looked for SDI-monitors. They seem to be in $2500 range. Vanilla HD monitors(HDMI/DVI inputs) seem to be a dime a dozen ($250 range). I'm sure there is an element of "you get what you pay for" here, but I'm not sure I need all of the features that the (initially found) SDI monitors provide (many input flavors, color bars, etc). So, I'll have to do some more research.

I remembered another related question: during data processing (after the experiment is complete) I'd like to be able to do the following:
- given that I've found a video frame of interest, can I read the SMPTE time via a computer? IOW, is the SMPTE time stored as metadata for each frame? Can I read the time from a Quicktime and/or .m2T video frame? How about if I record uncompressed?
- given that I have a GPS time of interest, are there software tools that will allow me to programmatically jump to the associated video frame?
Richard Sarkop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders