Getting "end of tape" and "dropped frames" messages at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Getting "end of tape" and "dropped frames" messages

I have just gotten back to town after doing 2 music video shoots and a lingerie shoot. I just started to put the first project on my computer, and I don't even get 5 minutes into it before it stops and gives me one of two messages. "End of tape has been encountered" or "Dropped frames have been detected." Is the my camera, Final Cut, my MacPro or my ext. hard drive?? I've already had the lady who hired me to do the lingerie shoot call (can we say impatient?) to ask how it's coming along. Any suggestions?
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Which camera are you shooting with? What are you using as a deck? I have this same problem. Maybe i can be of some assistance.
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #3
New Boot

I'm using an XLH1. I'm also having to use it as a deck for the time being. I'm putting it into Final Cut Pro.
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

How long have you had your camera, and have you ever had it serviced by Canon? I have to send my camera into Canon for the THIRD freaking time, and it's the same issue. The capstan head or motor isn't correct. That is what i was told and this REALLY sucks now. From what was told to me Canon used to have a policy where if you sent it in for the same problem three times they would replace it. NOT ANYMORE!! You just have to keep sending it in. This is leading me to believe that they are only applying a band-aid to it, and not really fixing it. Sorry i'm venting, but i have all of these tapes with dropped frames and that same error. Contact Canon Repairs and send your unit in. Make sure that you leave a note inside thoroughly explaining whats wrong with the camera. I have the same camera as well.
Canon Repair Department (732) 521-7888. Hope this helps.
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #5
New Boot

Oh, that sucks. I have had my camera for 2 years this month now, and this is the first time I have ever had this problem. Although I did have to send my lens in last April. The ig meter assembly was inoperative so the aperture control couldn't work, so they replaced it. It was still under warranty, although they said that particular problem wasn't covered by the limited warranty and that it was being provided as a "courtesy". That's the only problem I've had till now.
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Send it in. At least that is what i would do.
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Don't want to frighten you but had a similar experience on my xh-a1 a year ago, no problem during the shoot using a brand new hdv tape untill I tried to load into the pc, to make a long story short, I lost 80% worth of footage on one tape with over 100 dropped frames which were not recoverable. Have been working with an additional hvr-dr60 from Sony since. The reason for the problem appeared to be high temperature/humidity difference between out- and inside when I was shooting, though I couldn't get this confirmed.
Have you tried capturing with another camera?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Are you capturing from the camera you shot on. If not try that. Also try fast forwarding to the end of the tape and then rewinding. Then try to capture again.

It has been awhile since I used a Canon but I remember they were pretty notorious for this.

Paul Hudson
LizarlandVideo.com
Phoenix Video Production
Paul Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders