Sigma 100-300 f4 lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Sigma 100-300 f4 lens

Hi,

Has anybody used this lens with XLH1 with the canon ef adapter and if so are you getting good quality HDV footage

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've got one and the results have been very good. Optically it is held in very high regard as I suspect you already know.

Worth reading the review on Photozone:-

Sigma AF 100-300mm f/4 EX HSM APO - Review / Lab Test Report

The summary of the review says:-

"The Sigma AF 100-300mm f/4 EX HSM is the most impressive Sigma zoom lens tested to date. It is capable to deliver a near flawless performance with great resolution figures, low vignetting, low distortions, low CAs and as a nice whipped cream on top the build quality feels just right."

However I must admit I haven't used mine much lately because I've been cutting back on the weight I carry round, so if you're genuinely interested get in touch and I'll consider an offer.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #3
Trustee

One of the very best zooms in that range and comes close to matching the Canon L IS f/4 and Nikkor F/4 ED-IF fixed lenses.
It is the perfect match for long-range subjects using the Canon XL-H1. Just make sure that your tripod stability and filming techniques match the lens and you should obtain superb results.
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Had mine for over a year now, after reading much positive comments from other users. It's the first and only eos lens I bought to go with the xlh1, and I have to say so far it has been amazing used at macro and tele, and TBH for the nature stuff I do, I can't see myself needing much more.
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks all for the replies,
Could you please confirm that the image quality is good at the long end 300mm

Many thanks
Mick
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Trustee

Yes, at 300mm it is the best you can get in that range of zoom.
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Tony

Thanks for that

Hi Paul,
I am away all this week, but may well be in touch when I return home next week.

Mick
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
Yes, at 300mm it is the best you can get in that range of zoom.
Are you sure about that? The Nikon 50-300 is also very good. And I had a Leica 105-280 that was sensational - I'd guess it'd be significantly better than the Sigma.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Trustee

The Nikkor 50-300mm ED version was indeed a good and well built lens, although does not perform so well on the full frame D3/D3x compared to how it used to perform on film cameras like the Nikon F5 or F6 and crop-sensor D2X/D300.

If I were presented with a choice today, I'd still pick the Sigma lens on performance and sharpness at all focal lengths compared to the old Nikkor, and it is a better match for something like the D3s if you are also doing a lot of AF stills alongside video work.

One other problem is that good examples of the ED version of the legendary old manual Nikkor zoom are difficult to find and the Sigma is easily found either new or used.

A third factor is that Mick would not be able to use the Nikon Nikkor zoom with his Canon ef adapter and would need to buy a second XL-Nikon adapter (Les Bosher).

When all is said and done though, if both lenses were used only for video on the XL-H1 body the lower resolution of the tiny sensor (compared to DSLR sensor) would make it hard to tell footage shot from either.

The nice fact of using an MF Nikkor lens on the XL-H1 for me is the manual click stop aperture ring.
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #10
Inner Circle

So you've tried the 50-300 on the D3x?
I've actually seen plenty of them around for sale. As for click stops on the lens, when I started movie work and had my first lens converted from stills to universal mount I had click stops added to the aperture ring but I quickly learned that in fact they're not a good idea for movie work. With moving images you often need to fractionally adjust the iris mid shot and if you've got clicks it can jerk it when it hits a stop.
I used a 50-300 ED for a while on Super 16 and video cameras and it performed well (I know others who used it too), but it was nowhere near as good as the Leica.
Steve
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Trustee

I like click stops on the aperture/iris ring for both stills and video work and it is more important for me that the aperture remains as set throughout the sequence, and also provides more feel and feedback - for example letting me know exactly which f-stop (iris setting) is two clicks down from wide-open without even needing to view the screen or viewfinder.

Regarding using the old MF 50-300mm ED on the D3x? Yes, and the D3, but I still prefer image performance and handling of the Sigma f/4 APO.

Even having said that, I still much prefer the fixed prime Nikkor 300mm f/4 and Canon 300mm F/4 IS lenses over the two zooms mentioned.
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I just wondered because it sounds like you have every Nikon body and lens ever made! In previous threads you've given personal owner/user opinions on 180-600, 200-400 AF and MF, 600 f4, 5.6 and f4VR, Sigma 800 5.6, Nikon 800 5.6, 500 f4P and f4 AF and more - just how many do you have?
Steve

Steve
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Trustee

I have used all the Nikon lenses mentioned (and held on to the favourites), and also during the past used and owned many lenses in other systems such as Leica, Minolta and the majority of the pro series Pentax; although in more recent years my main lenses for expeditions are Nikkors or Canon L series.

Sometimes, even as a working professional, I tend to hold on to too much equipment - the toys-for-boys syndrome and I have yearly clear-outs where I sell some of the lenses or camera bodies...but always seem to own just as much or more equipment 12-months later!

I laugh to think that I once travelled on a major trip almost 30-years ago with only my trusty Pentax LX and 28mm lens...but still managed to come home with plenty of published shots.
Eccentric English tend to hoard too many cherished items and often most of them we don't always use or need often enough to make the expense of buying them all worthwhile...although maybe it isn't just mad-dogs-and-Englishmen...judging by the number of worldwide photographers owning far more than they can carry. :)

Getting back to thread...here are some test reviews on the Sigma 100-300mm against other similar lenses from other manfactures:

The "Fifteen-Pound Show-Down" Photo Gallery by lightrules at pbase.com

Digital SLR Camera Lens Reviews: Canon, Nikon, Sigma and Tamron Lens Reviews and Test Reports
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi all,

Well I bought the lens and so far very pleased with it, compares very favorably to my canon 70-200mm f2.8 L lens. Only thing to bear in mind is that it does emit a small sound when turned on and also when altering the aperture, something the canon does not do.

Thanks to all for your advice and to Paul for selling the lens to me

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders