Custom settings in XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 27th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Custom settings in XLH1

The subject of custom settings in the XLH1 was dealt with ad nauseum in 2006 when the camcorder was new, but the sites that listed suggested settings for various situations seem to have been, for the most part, stricken from the Internet in the intervening years.
I am trying to eliminate clipping of white highlights in outdoor subjects in dappled light. I already use Cine 2, and low knee, but with the iris open enough to see some detail and color in shadows, the whites still clip when the sun hits them. Short of shooting only on cloudy days, is there a way to minimize this?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Steve,
You commented on how well my Lewis's Woodpecker looked in full sun, and this is the Custom Preset I used. I don't know if it would help, but it might be worth trying. I have been using this CP for over 2 years, and it's the only one I have in the camera. If you try it, let me know how it works for you and the lighting situation you have in Florida.

GAMMA CURVE [GAM] GAM2
KNEE POINT ADJUSTMENT [KNE] L
BLACK STRETCH/BLACK PRESS [BLK] M
MASTER PED. [PED] 0
SETUP LEVEL [SET] -2
SHARPNESS [SHP] 1
HORIZONTAL DETAIL FREQUENCY [HDF] M
HORIZONTAL/VERTICAL DETAIL BALANCE [DHV] 0
CORING [COR] 0
NOISE REDUCTION 1 [NR1] OFF
NOISE REDUCTION 2 [NR2] OFF
COLOR MATRIX [CMX] 1
COLOR GAIN [CGN] -1
COLOR PHASE [CPH] 0
R GAIN [RGN] -1
G GAIN [GGN] -1
B GAIN [BGN] 0
R-G MATRIX [RGM] 0
R-B MATRIX [RBM] 0
G-R MATRIX [GRM] 0
G-B MATRIX [GBM] 0
B-R MATRIX [BRM] 0
B-G MATRIX [BGM] 0
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Don,

Thanks for the settings. I will try these (with the exception of your red gain settings, as I like things a bit warm).
I suspect that the setup of -2 may be the key, as it might shift the whole gamma curve toward less brightness. I will let you know how it works in Florida.

Steve
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Don,

I have been working on presets quite a bit lately. I ut your preset in and went out and did some tests with it. this is certainly one of the bets presets I have used. It does not so readily blow out the brights in high contrast areas so readily. I pushed the red up to bumps as that seems to work best most of the time where I live.

thanks for sharing this
Old June 4th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Dale,
I'm glad my CP worked out for you. The RGB gain settings are very subjective and is the variable part of this CP. My camera set to factory defaults produces a very slight magenta tint to the recorded video, and reducing the R and G gain fixed this problem. Others I have talked to have had a variety of barely noticeable green or red tints, so I think each H1 camera is somewhat unique when it comes to adjusting R, G, or B gain. Glad I could help........Don

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders