XL-h1 and convergent design nanoflash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL-h1 and convergent design nanoflash

I've been researching this for a while now, and it looks like the very best way to capture the xl-h1's sdi output is to use the nanoflash. I'm not concerned about audio, since that can be captured so many different ways. I'm talking strictly about image quality. I've tried to find comparisons that people have done but I can't. i'm sure its because it's hard to make these types of comparisons when you have to compress it so much anyway for the web. Please someone tell me if i'm waisting my money or if theres a product that i've missed! My hope is that it will be a huge difference in comparison to the mpeg-2 that comes off the tape. thanks
Joe Batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Major Player

We got a big improvement in appearance and workflow by moving to DTE FireStore's. We have two, one is the FS-C we use with an XL-H1 and the other is an FS-4 we use with a JVC. Have upgraded the hard drive in the FS-C and get 695mins of storage on it.
The next step for us is the Nanoflash but there are two of us and we need to match footage as much as possible, so two to buy.....

We'll have to leave it for a while...
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Joe,
I've bough a NanoFlash to increase the image quality of my XLH1 and I'm really happy with it.
4.2.2 brings more beautifull colors and MPEG2 at 100Mb/s the movements are less blurry than in HDV. And the workflow with CF card is so much easier than tapes. My XLH1 has a new life!
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Major Player

NanoFlash and XLH1s (the newer model) is a wonder. As others indicate, it upgrades your images to 4:2:2 as opposed to 4:2:0. And the far greater data rates available provide you a picture so much better in many ways.

If you have the older XLH1 like we do, then the XDRflash is a better match due to the matching audio input capability (gets rid of the necessity to run double system or trying to hassle synching audio from tape). The XDR has been discontinued but can be found used and is still supported by CD. And it has the advantage of 4 CF card slots for double the run time of the Nano - but is is larger than the Nano.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Trustee

So am I to undertand that the nanoflash cannot record the analog audio from the original xl-h1? It thought I saw a stereo 1/8" input on one of the units.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

SDI recorders

Thanks everybody, I'm glad John mentioned the XDR I was wondering why there was just an image on the website and no link! Too bad it's discontinued, I do have the old H1. And Ronan seems to be really impressed, I think I might be sold. The firestore looks good but doesn't IMPROVE image quality, just improves workflow if I didn't miss anything. Thanks again!
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Joe,

Suggestion. Take your questions over to the NanoFlash forum right here on DVinfo. It is the best and most frequented place on the internet having to do with nanoFlash. You will get straight up answers on the unit's strengths and weaknesses. The link to it is below.

Convergent Design nanoFlash Forum at DVinfo.net
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Major Player

I have the older XLH1 too but no issue with audio. Iv'e got a stereo RCA cable that goes out of the camera then enters in the NanoFlash through a mini jack connector. Why should we need the XDR, John?
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Major Player

I have the Canon XLH1s/Nanoflash combination and it really is fantastic.

The Nano adds so much tot he XL (enhanced image quality, tapeless workflow, tape backup, etc.) and it has been a most worthwhile purchase.

If increasing image quality is a criteria, go for the Nanoflash. The Firestore solutions are only good if you are looking to move to a tapeless workflow.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #10
Major Player

Nano works with the 1/8th min-plug to original XLH1...
But the XDR has the advantages of audio via far more robust XLR connections, cabling - plugs that lock, grounded cabling and long runs if needed.
The Nano will work though with the XLH1 original.
Nano advantages - smaller form factor and weight - lower price - currently in production - HDMI I/O
XDR advantages - twice the recording capacity (nano hot-swapping promised) due to 4 slots vs 2 - XLR audio - more robust construction - if promised uncompressed ever arrives, 4 CF card slots vs 2 in the nano may become an issue?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks again everybody, I'm sold on the nanoflash. The XDR sounds even better but I hate to buy electronics used, besides, I looked and can't find one for sale. haha
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #12
Trustee

I'd prefer the nanoflash myself, even with the RCA to mini 1/8" connector at this point. Thanks!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

XL-H1 to ki mini?

OK i was totally sold on the nanoflash and then I read about the AJA ki mini. wow... a few years ago there was no way to capture the sdi out without spending a fortune and now too many choices. I also use FCP so which of these two should I get? I'm usually good at making my own decisions but I just dont have enough info. Prores VS Sony codec...HELP! oh yea, and the reason I'm posting in the canon forum is because my question is specific to the XL-H1 and I want the conversation to be open to other options than the nanoflash.

Last edited by Joe Batt; October 3rd, 2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old October 4th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #14
Major Player

Maybe this post from Mike Schell, from Convergent Design, would help you to make an opinion.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...mparisons.html
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Just have another concern, (bare with me it's a huge purchase) will quicktime player play back the files imported from the nanoflash without being converted into a .MOV by something like FCP? or do you have to import the file to view them? I'm getting the impression that only about half of the file types will play.
Joe Batt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders