Dropped XL H1a... aaaaargh! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 17th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dropped XL H1a... aaaaargh!

Our Canon XL H1a has just been dropped from about 4 foot onto a solid marble floor, as someone, ironically, was attaching the safety carrying strap! You can imagine my shock and horror as this happened. This is a virtually unused camera. I've shot off some test footage since the accident and nothing seems to be wrong and nothing broke off. I removed the lens, EVF and microphone to check for any visible signs of damage on these items, but again nothing showed up. The lens elements seem fine, as does the sensor chip in the camera/lens mount (but it could have shifted out of alignment). We have to use the camera in about two weeks time for a documentary, unfortunately. Should I send the unit back to Canon to be checked over and are there any things that I should check myself? Has anyone else ever had this happen to their XL camera (in fully assembled mode)? I feel awful....

Simon

Does anyone know where my nearest Canon service centre is? I'm based in Provence, France, department 04 near Aix-en-Provence and Marseille.
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Dropped XL H1a... aaaaargh!

Hey man, I feel your pain! Similar thing happened to me not so long ago.

The good news is that if the camera is working now then it is probably alright. You need to run tests and investigate a few weak points (especially the lens mount).

You can read about the advice that was given to me here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl...-concrete.html

Best of luck.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Cheers Simon,

We shot a good deal of test footage in bright sunshine today, after the mishap, and imported it into FCP. The video/audio seemed fine - sharp and glitch free. I did notice one possible problem in the EVF data; the battery level indicator appeared some of the time but not all even though the on board battery was virtually at full capacity. The camera has no scuff marks or any signs of damage, which is incredible after such a fall - a testament to the solid Canon design. Even "if" we did get away with it this time, you can't help feeling upset and uneasy about such an accident and the camera now feels tainted.

All the best
Simon
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Glidewell View Post
Even "if" we did get away with it this time, you can't help feeling upset and uneasy about such an accident and the camera now feels tainted.
I know what you mean but rest assured that feeling will go away; the proof is in the pudding - if it is shooting good images then you should be in the clear. A couple of projects from now you'll have forgotten about it.

That magnesium-alloy body shell (or whatever it is) sure can take a knock...
Simon Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders