XHA1s capture problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 18th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XHA1s capture problem

no matter what i use PC or MAC , tried with multiple fire wire cables... i can not get the video out from my xha1s ... when the cable is connected i do not see the HDV/DV in on the viewfinder... does this means the firewire port is faulty or can this be some setting related? please help !!
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: XHA1s capture problem

FWIW: this is the XL-H forum, not XH series.

Could you capture on the same computers from the same camcorder previously? If so, has anything changed on the PCs since then (patch applies, etc.)?

Is the camcorder setup for firewire output of the recorded format video? e.g., if the video is HDV, and you want to capture it as HDV (no in-camcorder down convert) Signal Setup--Playback Standard should be set to HDV, and Setup--HD-Down-Conv to OFF. See page 109 of the manual. (These setting may need to be made before you connect the camcorder to the PC.)

And is the capture program setup for capture of that type signal - with some it make a difference.?
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Your problem could be a number of things from faulty fireport cables to incorrect settings in your NLE.
Did you connect it all up first BEFORE turning on ALL the power ... if not, that could have blown your A1s firewire port.

Is your A1s new, is it under any warranty?

As you're in NY NY you could call sponsor B&H and make an appointment to take your A1s across to them to help you.

Cheers.
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

maybe that is my problem .. i might have connected it after truing it on...
yes i have downloaded video from this camera before ..... its not new you think B&H would help me with it even when its not bought from them ... ?
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

No harm in giving B&H a phone call, or maybe there is a Canon video camera shop closer to you which could do it faster?
Good luck.

Cheers.
Old April 19th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #6
Wrangler

B&H is a good place to do business.. If you are a regular customer I expect they would help, but don't expect a lot of time from them,

The Canon repair facility is in NJ. Not sure how far it is from you, or how hard to get there from NYC. You could call the Canon help number and see if they have some simple checks you can try.
Old April 19th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

is it possible to use Component video out and capture video using a Video input ...some thing like this
Elgato EyeTV HD Video Recorder - Apple Store (U.S.)
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #8
Wrangler

Probably, if you are a Mac person. But likely not the best way because it adds another D/A and A/D conversion in the capture process that looks like it ends with in a lossy highly compressed file format that is even harder (required more processign power) than HDV to edit.

Your better bet may be to solve the firewire issue.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:24 PM   #9
Trustee

I don;t know if this is an option but perhaps a used HV20 or HV30 might help out here. At least if your spending the money for a repair of a firewire port, you might be able to pick up something like this and have a "deck" for capturing and a 2nd camera you might need in a pinch. Just something to consider.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders