Replacing XL-H1A for bird documentaries - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Replacing XL-H1A for bird documentaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Nice setup!

I'm happy to see so many XLH1 users are still out there and doing new things with them to keep them current.

This thread has highlighted the fact the at the moment there is not really anything out there that fully replaces the niche market that the XL series filled I guess?
I agree. I love my XLH1S/Nano setup and still use it on a wide range of productions.

Still haven't found a camera that can really fully replace what it does.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I have decided to go for the Firestore option just now; for my purposes the image quality is fine, I'm not doing work for broadcast and it gives the security of an alternative storage medium. But a tapeless XL-H1 with better codec would be my ideal!
Neil Grubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #18
Major Player

Yes I agree with Simon Wood. There is nothing that has filled the place of the XL line of cameras. It went without a word from Canon as to really why. Loyal users and third party manufactures of accessories were left hanging as the XL withered and died.

Sure it had it's short comings. Working in low light probably it's worst. However. What camera has the dual ability to be quickly removed from a tripod then quickly used shoulder mounted? What camera has interchangeable lens, with both manual and automatic lens available plus the EF range via an adapter? What camera is large enough to enable it to have decent size knobs and buttons that can be felt for, audio and picture control manipulated quickly whilst shooting without having to look for the correct control? What camera was able to have it's major control features on the body, not somewhere down in a menu. What other camera was also able to take a thrashing in the field, be dropped, roll around in the back of a car and still work?

Maybe all little simple things no doubt. But for it's price range it took alot of beating and could be used on a day long shoot with effort and ease.

So why did Canon really kill it off? Did they listen to the few wingers who reckoned they could't focus it?
The odd one who said the viewfinder wasn't big enough?

I may be a lone voice crying from the wilderness and living at the ends of the earth. But.... and a big BUT.
For the price it was a darned good all round camera, very easy to use, well designed supporting many features both simple and complex.

I don't know what to replace it with?
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #19
Major Player

I 100% agree. It's interesting as Canon has a large following of XL users.

Perhaps we should think of a laundry list of what we'd like in a future "XL" style HD Camcorder and I can bring it to my Canon rep. I have a pretty strong relationship with some Canon reps as I work with them through my work at NBC.

On another note, I am producing a fun little series at NBC which I am shooting with my Canon XLH1S/Nano. Hopefully I can post when it's done.
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #20
Major Player

Thank you Michael.

Yes! Use all and whatever influence you have to get the message through to Canon. "We want the XL back".

Perhaps we need to start another thread on this and other forums to gauge support for Canon XL series and present it to Canon.

Looking forward to your fun series.
Old April 29th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Didn't realise my thread would start this discussion but then I dodn't know my camera was irreplaceable! If a tapeless XL successor were to be produced, the main features I would look for would be:

- better resolution viewfinder screen, to allow more precise focussing
- ability to autofocus with EF lenses
- improved low light performance
- 100 fps option for slow motion wildlife shots

I guess Canon are putting their resources into the DSLR and Cinema series for video just now; unfortunately, even if a pared down cinema camera was affordable I suspect the crop factor would not give the magnification of the XL series.

Neil
Neil Grubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #22
Major Player

An interchangeable lens version of the XF305 . Same lens mount as XLs. Same codec and viewfinder as XF. A new "standard" lens, 20x zoom out to 200mm with a built in 2x TC. Like a mini Canon broadcast lens.

C'mon Canon! You can get the BBC to "approve" your XF305 which is "only" a 1/3inch 3 chipper. Hardly a major step to make one lens interchangeable. Not every punk out here slavers over narrow d.o.f. and DSLR style cameras.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #23
Major Player

Same mount as the XLH1 so that you can use the 20x & 6x lenses....
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 02:53 AM   #24
Major Player

20X lens, at least, has chromatic aberration issues which Canon solved on the XFs via in camera software.

Would need similar on the "XF shoulder mount", certainly for its "standard" lens.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #25
Major Player

If we could move all of these requests to the other thread that was started, that would be great to keep everything consolidated. And to not hijack this thread. Thanks!
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:35 PM   #26
Major Player

Why Michael?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders