DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Today is the day! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/51052-today-day.html)

Chris Hurd September 14th, 2005 05:28 AM

Today is the day!

DV Info Net has its own coverage of this week's Canon Global Expo in NYC. Myself and Michael Wisniewski will be reporting throughout the day (as for me, it'll be more toward the later part of the day, but you should here from Michael shortly... he's going in as our very own DV Info Net press agent).

I know there have been plenty of links to other sites, but if you can, try to pay closer attention to our own stuff generated right here. I think we can prove that DV Info Net will have, as usual, the most solid and reliable info.

I'm not into blogging, but I am into getting it right. Stay tuned,

Steven Davis September 14th, 2005 07:20 AM

Congratulations, Felicitacionesm, Félicitations, Congratulazioni, Поздравления!!!!

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 08:30 AM

Okay, it's 10:30 a.m., where are your children?

Patiently awaiting the news.

Jay

Pete Bauer September 14th, 2005 08:33 AM

I'm IMpatiently awaiting the news!

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
I'm IMpatiently awaiting the news!

LOL -- Pete, I shocked!

Uh, oh... a crowd is gathering outside!

Jay

Josh Caldwell September 14th, 2005 09:06 AM

Wait for it....wait for it...

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 14th, 2005 09:08 AM

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=12152

Official web page of the XLH1

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 14th, 2005 09:09 AM

This quote from the site will reassure some members here:

Its Superior Canon Optics and exceptional image processing give you a brilliant HD image. The XL H1 also features uncompressed HD-SDI (SMPTE 292M) and SD-SDI (SMPTE 259M) output, as well as Genlock input and SMPTE time code input and output for multi-camera shoots. And, with its customizable open-architecture approach, selectable frame rates including 24F, and multiple output options, you've got exactly the right tool -- every time.

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 09:10 AM

I am underwhelmed. What a shame.

Jay

Philip Williams September 14th, 2005 09:13 AM

What the heck? The Z1 ships with 50i/60i. This Canon has it too.. but its not turned on??

From the official site:
"With the XL H1's versatile open-architecture approach, you can even customize your HD camcorder to record in both 60i and 50i. (This optional upgrade must be performed by a Canon Service Center.)"

Seems like some weird decisions were made at corporate.. or they just ran out of time and needed to get this thing out without finishing the complete feature set.

<edit>
And this sounds suspiciously like the verbage used by Sony to descibe CineFrame video:
"The XL H1 delivers 1080i HD resolution, along with selectable frame rates of 60i, 30F and 24F. For high-speed subjects 30 Frame delivers spectacular clarity, 24 Frame gives the look and motion of film."

Maybe they really did use the FX1/Z1 CCDs...

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 14th, 2005 09:16 AM

Black is so cool! :)

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald
Black is so cool! :)

Not if you're shooting in direct sunlight, it isn't!

Jay

Greg Boston September 14th, 2005 09:19 AM

See the link in this thread. More to come in about an hour....stay tuned!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=51063

-gb-

Kevin Wild September 14th, 2005 09:21 AM

So there is a surprise! Uncompressed out via HD SDI? I guess you would need to have some sort of field converter to get to a harddrive, right? Not sure this is useful all the time, but nice that it's there.

I really cannot wait to see their version of 24F. If it's decent, they may have a chance here. Any word on price yet?

KW

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
Any word on price yet?

$9,000!

Jay

Greg Boston September 14th, 2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
So there is a surprise! Uncompressed out via HD SDI? I guess you would need to have some sort of field converter to get to a harddrive, right? Not sure this is useful all the time, but nice that it's there.

I really cannot wait to see their version of 24F. If it's decent, they may have a chance here. Any word on price yet?

KW

Ships in November for $9000USD. According to the Chris H. whom I just got off the phone with, the 24F looks indentical in output to 24P. The CCD's are not progressive so Canon could not call it 24P. However, they do scan the ccd's at 24Hz and the DIGIC DV processor performs the 24p thing with no resolution loss. It's NOT like the Sony Cineframe mode. In short, you will not be disappointed with what comes out according to those who have seen it.

-gb-

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 09:31 AM

Greg, you're beginning to sound like a cheerleader.

Jay

Boyd Ostroff September 14th, 2005 09:33 AM

Just looking at the specs on Canon's site. It says "With the XL H1's versatile open-architecture approach, you can even customize your HD camcorder to record in both 60i and 50i. (This optional upgrade must be performed by a Canon Service Center.)"

I wonder what that means? DO you send your camera to them and have them change it from a PAL to NTSC version? Or is it user switchable like the Z1?

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 14th, 2005 09:34 AM

There is no details about the lenses options? Since the mount is still an XL one, how the old lenses performs in term of resolution? does Canon have some plans to introduce some HD XL lenses, a manual focusing one for example?

Marty Hudzik September 14th, 2005 09:40 AM

While the stock lens is still a servo driven cam (not my favorite option) it appears that there will be a readout on the EVF showing the distance that you are focused on (canon website), a very cool feature similar to the HVX200 and DVX100. So while there are not hard stops you at least get some indication where you are focused.

Greg Boston September 14th, 2005 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell
Greg, you're beginning to sound like a cheerleader.

Jay

Give me a C....give me an A...give me an N... oh, forget it, my uniform doesn't fit me anymore after all the margaritas, chips, and salsa I've consumed.

(Note: Just kidding. Never was a cheerleader, never wanted to be one either.)

-gb-

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 14th, 2005 09:43 AM

Ok, I agree, an interesting feature, but there is no interest in having an interchangeable lens camera system with no lens option. Perhaps Canon will introduce them later..

Dan Euritt September 14th, 2005 09:43 AM

FINALLY we get adjustable back focus:

"Flange Back Adjustment
This adjustment is used to adjust the Flange Back of a lens mounted on the XL H1. This adjustment can be done automatically or manually by the user."

if this camera really does have an uncompressed HD-SDI output that is taken *before* the hdv processing, it's a dream come true for the handheld fast action work that i do... all that's lacking is a firestore or similar that'll record in a better format than that crippled hdv mpeg2.

$9k is of course out of the question, lol, but many thanks to everyone for putting this info online here.

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
(Note: Just kidding. Never was a cheerleader, never wanted to be one either.)

Drat! And I was so looking forward to seeing you in a short skirt and tight sweater shaking your pom-poms! ;o)

Jay

Yi Fong Yu September 14th, 2005 09:46 AM

thank goodness, i can still use my 3x and 16x =).

now i'll be waiting for the price to come down for the body kit. hopefully it'll be $7k or so without lens. barring that i'd wait for XL H2 (with variable progressive frame rates and true 1920x1080p).

ahahah everyone. everyone is always looking to the future =).

PS it looks like the tape transport means HDV can be recorded on the same miniDV tapes we're used to right?

Alvin Ang September 14th, 2005 09:50 AM

Bittersweet feeling guys.

My heart just stopped when i saw the post. (I got the info here first! Thanks guys ! Wooot!)
It's really cool that canon's got the XLH1.
But it looks like its gonna cost a bomb.

I'm a diehard XL fan i guess.
Hhahaha
I'm not sure how long it takes for a camera to get to asia, sooo anyone from Singapore gonna import it in?
Cheers!

Greg Boston September 14th, 2005 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu

now i'll be waiting for the price to come down for the body kit. hopefully it'll be $7k or so without lens. barring that i'd wait for XL H2 (with variable progressive frame rates and true 1920x1080p).

ahahah everyone. everyone is always looking to the future =).

PS it looks like the tape transport means HDV can be recorded on the same miniDV tapes we're used to right?

That is correct. It has to use the mini-dv tapes or they couldn't label it HDV. It has the added bonus of pumping uncompressed HD out the side over the HD-SDI connection.

-gb-

Greg Boston September 14th, 2005 09:59 AM

The Watchdog Skinny on the new XLH1

Here's the link to the skinny on the new Canon camera. There are a few typos but not enough to blur the information accuracy.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxlh1/xlh1skinnyx.php

-gb-

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 10:01 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure they'll work. By that, I mean they are not HD lenses. Using SD lenses on an HD camera would be an oxymoron, don't ya think?

Jay

Jay Gladwell September 14th, 2005 10:03 AM

From the "Skinny" site: "Canon states that it will not comment on future products, leaving the question of additional XL HD lens options up in the air."

Wow, without a wide angle lens, that adds insult to injury!

Jay

Kevin Wild September 14th, 2005 10:10 AM

I see no mention of DV on the site. Did I miss it? Is this camera not backwards compatible as a DV camera? Interesting...maybe they're making us keep our XL2's!

KW

Steven White September 14th, 2005 10:11 AM

Don't worry about DV compatibility - look at the pictures: the miniDV logo is clearly present... and the specs clearly indicate DV recording options.

-Steve

Kevin Wild September 14th, 2005 10:44 AM

Hope so. I'm surprised they don't list that.

KW

Yi Fong Yu September 14th, 2005 11:19 AM

can someone explain to me HD-SDI? i'm not familiar with that piece of technology. is this just dumping uncompressed HD signal through firewire?

jay,
a lens is a lens is a lens. i mean it's a piece of glass, there ain't limitations to it. how it an image resolves is on the body not in the lens itself. the only circuitry on the lens has to do with image processing not image resolving. that's done in the receptacle of the body. correct me if i'm wrong.

do you think Canon rushed this XLH1 to the market because of pressure from Panasonic&Sony?

PS don't you guys think the selectable aspect ratio guide is simply awesome? gonna shoot 2.35 all the time!!!! =).

Greg Boston September 14th, 2005 11:24 AM

Quote:

can someone explain to me HD-SDI? i'm not familiar with that piece of technology. is this just dumping uncompressed HD signal through firewire?

jay,
a lens is a lens is a lens. i mean it's a piece of glass, there ain't limitations to it. how it an image resolves is on the body not in the lens itself. the only circuitry on the lens has to do with image processing not image resolving. that's done in the receptacle of the body. correct me if i'm wrong.

do you think Canon rushed this XLH1 to the market because of pressure from Panasonic&Sony?

SDI=Serial Digital Interface. It can carry both SD and HD data. It uses a single BNC type connector. Per Canon's page, you'll have to use a high quality RG-6 cable at least 18gauge wire to get runs of as much as 330 feet. You'll have to have either a deck that supports SDI, or an add on card for your computer to ingest the signal in this format.

Barry Green September 14th, 2005 11:27 AM

Quote:

a lens is a lens is a lens. i mean it's a piece of glass, there ain't limitations to it. how it an image resolves is on the body not in the lens itself.

Completely not true. There are low-resolving lenses, and high-resolving lenses. The quality of the glass makes all the difference. There are lenses that are engineered specifically to resolve high-definition resolution, and there are standard-def lenses that aren't. And high-def lenses cost a whole lot more than standard-def lenses do...

Yi Fong Yu September 14th, 2005 11:38 AM

so what's the diff of the HD and SD lenses? to me it's all glass.

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 14th, 2005 11:43 AM

It's the same thing in SLR photography. For example, Canon are selling a 70-300 IS lens for about 300$, and another one for 1500$. The first one is less sharp and you can clearly see it in the pictures.

Nate Weaver September 14th, 2005 11:45 AM

Quote:

so what's the diff of the HD and SD lenses? to me it's all glass.

Design. Quality of the actual glass used.

Trust us Yi, it's all true. There's a reason a lot of 35mm motion picture lenses cost as much as much as your car (whether you drive a Honda or Ferrari).

Jean-Philippe Archibald September 14th, 2005 11:55 AM

Why the price is almost double the price of an XL2?

Do you think that the ccd chips and the body electronic are so much more expensive to produce, or is the new HD lens that push the price that high?