Digic DV processing... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 14th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Digic DV processing...

So what's the story with this Digic DV processing? How good was it with SD/stills? Anyone have any clue how this will work with 1080i (especially deinterlacing and whatnot...).

I mean from what I've read the CCDs will run at 24Hz and this Digic chip will deinterlace with *NO* resolution loss? Is that possible, or just marketing hype? Is there any ETA on when we'll see footage from this cam? Are there working models at the Canon Expo?

Any of you codec gurus (graeme, etc...) have any thoughts on the feasability of this?
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #2
Major Player

digic II works magic on their still cameras.

I think 24f is just another way to get a "film look" using Canon's own proprietary technology. Sony or someone else built these chips for them, so interlaced chips might have been the only option....

So you have to hook this cam up to a raid array in the field to get the full data stream?
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
I mean from what I've read the CCDs will run at 24Hz and this Digic chip will deinterlace with *NO* resolution loss? Is that possible, or just marketing hype?
Well... "progressive scanning" is a very specific term, meaning it reads the chip from the top down (or bottom up). It might be possible to actually sample the whole frame as a single frame on an interlaced chip, and then simply read the chip as two fields. These two fields would have been exposed at the same time but sampled as interlaced. There would be no discernable difference between this approach and a 24p signal.

It's hard to believe though that if they actually did such a thing, they wouldn't just call it 24p. No user would ever be the wiser, and Canon wouldn't have to defend themselves. Without details from Canon, the only test will be to shoot resolution charts and objects with predictable motion and analyse the results.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #4
Wrangler

Kevin,

Yes there are working models at the Expo and hopefully some video clips will show up pretty soon.

Also see the link below and click on the CCD and Sensors link to get more in depth info on how the DIGIC DV II processor and the other DSP's handle the 24f and 30f.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxlh1/xlh1skinnyx.php

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

See also www.dvinfo.net/canonxlh1/articles/article06.php -- hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders