XLH1 stay with NTSC or switch to PAL ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 11th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XLH1 stay with NTSC or switch to PAL ?

I live in the UK and have just received my PAL XLH1 back from Canon after getting the CCD prism changed and all dead / hot pixels removed.

Picture look awesome. However, the camera is now strangely NTSC, giving me 24p, 30p and 60i modes.

I know that 60i should provide a better slow motion (2.5x PAL 50i) and from what I have read, 30p is better at coping with pans, and obviously 24p is 'film like' (although, to be honest I wouldn't know the difference between 24p and 25p if I watched it).

So question is, would it be better for me to stick with this new NTSC config, or would it be wise to get Canon to reconfig it back to PAL? Are there any drawbacks leaving it as NTSC or anything else I should be aware of ??
Old September 12th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: XLH1 stay with NTSC or switch to PAL ?

I would say that the determining factor is the format your clients expect to receive.
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, I've decided to keep it PAL, primarily because everything else I have / cut it with, is PAL. I personally can't tell the difference between 24fps and 25fps, so the only thing I would potentially have gained is slightly better slower motion. I also noticed that the NTSC config picked up light flickers because the mains frequency was different.
Old October 7th, 2014, 06:05 AM   #4
Major Player

There was a (paid) firmware update that allowed you to switch between PAL and NTSC in the menu.

Are you able to select which one you want in the menu, or is it locked to one or the other?
Simon Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders