Interlaced blocks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 12th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #1
Trustee

Interlaced blocks

I have been taking a very close look at the XLH1 clips and I have noticed a few blocks of color interlaced lines in the progressive clips. You have to seperate the UV channels and when you look at each channel the two color difference channels have a few 8x8 blocks that are interlaced. The Luma channel is fine. I thought the progressive (F) mode on the XLH1 flagged the video to encode as progressive? The rest of the image does look to be encoded as progressive.

720p HDV from the JVC camera has not had this issue out of all the clips I have seen.

This makes me think the encoder on the XLH1 is only an interlaced encoder and doesn't really do a progressive mpeg2 video.

Then again this might just be the tradeoff of frame movie mode.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thomas, may You provide some pictures, where we can see the blocks?
Robert Niemann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders