SDI out... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old October 17th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #1
Contributor

SDI out...

If you recorded something in HDV onto the camera's tape and then wanted to play it back through the SDI output so you could load it into an HD Adreniline, what would happen--ie., can you play back the HDV tape and get something out of the SDI?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Bill,

If I'm reading it right, your question is will the H1 playback HDV through SDI when in VCR mode. Too many acronyms. I believe it will, don't see why not, but I'll try to confirm this in a couple of days at PhotoPlus Expo in NYC.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #3
Wrangler

Of course, since HDV is lossy, even if recorded HDV can be put out the SDI port, you're going to get HDV quality rather than the full quality of HD-SDI passed directly from the camera head. I suppose there might be practical reasons to put the HDV out by SDI rather than Firewire, but quality-wise I'd guess there's probably no advantage?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #4
Contributor

The reason would be an NLE that has only SDI in.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #5
Trustee

Correct. Then you'd get an uncompressed, very large HDV quality file, with the benefit of having every little nuance, colorshift, and blocky edges perfectly preserved.

If you have not already captured this media, then I'd rent a camera that had higher quality for the shoot.

Pete
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:01 AM   #6
Trustee

The one good thing about capturing this way is that, without talking about hard drive space here, uncompressed HD is much easier to edit on current edit systems compared to mpeg2 compressed HDV. Also for heavy effects work with multiple passes of rendering uncompressed would be better than native HDV not to mention render much faster.

There are even products coming out now to do exactly this. Convert firewire HDV into HD SDI. If you can get by the massive hard drive space issues uncompressed HD is much easier to edit.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Not to mention you don't have to capture it uncompressed, you could simply capture it in something that is easier to edit... DVCPRO HD, HDCAM, one of the Lumiere or Cineform lossless intermediaries... It opens up a lot of choices for you, without having to capture the native HDV and then wait while it rerenders into another format...
Old October 24th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #8
Trustee

Listen, shoot in a 4:2:2 format if you want the real benefit of uncompressed. How are you going to archive that material? Back out to HDV? Yuck.

If you have a mac, then it's a native edit with hdv, For the PC, get cineform and capture to an already easy to edit format on the fly that is still smaller than uncompressed.
Old October 24th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #9
Trustee

... of course, you could consider working with proxy files.
Old October 25th, 2005, 07:01 AM   #10
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
The reason would be an NLE that has only SDI in.
Adrenaline has IEEE in but with HDV you need to use an external card ... I guess if you have an HD board then Adrenaline should be able to cross-convert on the fly from the IEEE port to DnxHD. Do you know if this is the case Thomas? I don't have the HD board option.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders