24F vs 24P? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old November 12th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

24F vs 24P?

what is the difference between 24F in the new XL-H1 and 24P? I really don't know what 24F is.

XL1-s
Bogen 503 head
Sony wireless
Adobe Premiere 6.0
Matrox RT2500
Brian Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

24F produces the same results as 24P, but by different means.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Brian,

I believe that this thread provides about all the information that is publically known or deduced about 24F at present.

Seems that Canon is willing to go no further than to attribute the camera's high-rez, non-interlaced 24fps and 30fps output from the 1080i CCD to the digital wizardry of their proprietary DigicII chip. Kaku Ito's footage was very much appreciated and quite tantalizing, but with the time constraints he was under, and using a pre-production unit, probably shouldn't be taken as the last word (one would hope/assume that final production units will be further tweaked to be even better).

As soon as the camera is released we can do rez charts, etc on a variety of modes and shots. I suspect that educated guesses on the principles used in the "digital wizardry" are the best we are going to do regarding 24F/30F. Each of us has to make our judgment based on the specs that ARE released, plus the images that the camera gives us.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 06:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The German video magazine "Videoaktiv digital" (issue 1/2006) has already made and published a rez charts test (XL H1 and Sony HVR-Z1). Their result: The Sony achieves 600 lines, the XL H1 800.
Robert Niemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Wrangler

Ah, yes, vielen dank Robert! Hot off the press, the Dec/Jan issue has an article on the XL H1 for filmmaking. Regrettably, as far as I can tell, the web site (in German) only has teaser info and not the full article. Any other juicy tidbits from the full article in the magazine?
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, for instance they wrote (as far as I can remenber):
- colour aberration is reduced very much
- likewise smear/blooming
- the cine control are very very very complex
- without HD-SDI the camera would cost minus 3.000 Euro/Dollars, but HD-SDI was Canon's interest: They do not see the camera as a competitor to the Sony/JVC HDV cameras, but they want to hit the professional TV/broadcast market, where HD-SDI is a necessary feature
- the auto focus is like at the XL2 a little bit slow
- pictures shot under bright light are very sharp and clear
- the supplied microphone is decoupled very well
- the camera got the mark "excellent" (by comparison: The JVC GY-HD100 did only get a "very good")
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #7
Inner Circle

could you maybe scan the article in or something, and send it to Chris? To make a translated version via the translation website from worldlingo or something?
Doesn't have to of course, just curious :-)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #8
Wrangler

Thank you again, Robert! Glad to hear that chromatic abberation wasn't a problem; there was some concern in the community about a little bit of purple fringing in some of Kaku's clips from a pre-release version of the camera -- sounds like VideoAktiv feels that the lens is worthy of hi def. Makes sense, I guess. Can't really see Canon putting their lens-making reputation at risk to push a video camera out the door.

Of course, there's still a lot yet to be learned about this camera. I really can't wait to try it out...really hoping that rumors of a US release within the next couple of weeks turn out to be true. In any case, I'm going to get my hands on a US release version at first opportunity and of course will tell all.

EDIT: Mathieu, unfortunately what you are asking would be against copyright laws. I suspect we'll see more information in NTSC-land soon as well. As soon as there is any info, we will be talking about it here on DVinfo!
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #9
Regular Crew

About the lens: With the new "SR-lens emolument" adventitious light effects and other picture faults are reduced to the minimum. A fluorite lens corrects chromatic aberrations.
Sorry, but I have not bought the issue. I have read it at a newsstand.
Old November 13th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Mathieu, unfortunately what you are asking would be against copyright laws. I suspect we'll see more information in NTSC-land soon as well. As soon as there is any info, we will be talking about it here on DVinfo!
No problem, I didn't thought about that.
And you're right, we will have more interesting reports coming in here soon :-)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

I vote Pete should become a co-moderator on this board--his enthusiasm his contagious!

heath
Old November 19th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #12
Wrangler

Heath, did you say that out loud? Shhhhhhh, don't let my wife hear...she is extraordinarily tolerant of my DVi habit but she must have her limits.
;-)

Well, when one goes against all reason and good advice by planning to buy a $9,000 toy sight-unseen, one ought to be enthusiastic! But "the proof is in the pudding." We shall see what happens to my enthusiam after I have an H1 in hand.
Old November 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

Test, my friend. I bought an HD10 sight unseen and lived to regret it.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders