DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   How many early adopters vs. tried&true buyers? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/55732-how-many-early-adopters-vs-tried-true-buyers.html)

Yi Fong Yu December 8th, 2005 12:49 PM

How many early adopters vs. tried&true buyers?

i wish we had a poll that asked if you've bought it or about to buy within the first 6 months release of a new product. it's interesting to see how many plan to buy it right away and how many plan to wait&see.

Dan Keaton December 8th, 2005 01:37 PM

I would love to have one right now, but I think it is prudent to wait a while.

Specifically:

1. I want to see if HDV works well in most all conditions, panning, etc.

2. I want to know what other lenses will be available and at what price.

3. I want some high quality - field portable recording solutions to become available.

4. I hope to learn about all of the unexpected problems before I buy. For example, based on recent posts, the return to preset focus appears to need a speed control.

5. I want to know if the auto focus is usable, as it appears to be very difficult to focus for High Definition.

Again, I would love to have this camera right now. I do expect to own one in the future.

Kevin Wild December 8th, 2005 02:07 PM

I am definitely an early adopter, but I wanted to wait and see how the HVX200 stacked up vs the Canon. So far, from all the reviews I've read and the footage I've seen, the Canon is holding it's own even in the HDV format. If this is true and there is not a HUGE difference, I will DEFINITELY go tape based and will be getting an H1.

KW

John Benton December 11th, 2005 10:07 AM

I have been considering the HVX
but something shady seems to be surrounding this camera and
while I like the P2 recording - I don't like the price...
Might as well get a Canon + Firestore and have the best of both worlds

The things that I am interested in are Canon 24f and
the HDV v DVC ProHD

Martin Costa December 11th, 2005 12:07 PM

I'll be picking mine up as soon as it hits the shelves (XL H1)

Kristian Indrehus December 11th, 2005 01:31 PM

I´m buying one as soon as available in Norway. I plan to go the firestore route, so tape or P2 is not that important. Still I will have a closer look at the Panny when it´s out, and consider getting one as a second (and even more) mobile cam.

Larry Huntington December 11th, 2005 04:02 PM

I wish the XL2 could over and under crank like the HVX. I am also wanting to see fast-moving shots HDV on the H1. I shoot nature and would like to see how a waterfall would hold up compression-wise.

larry

Martin Rodriguez December 11th, 2005 06:45 PM

[QUOTE=Larry Huntington]I wish the XL2 could over and under crank like the HVX. I am also wanting to see fast-moving shots HDV on the H1. I shoot nature and would like to see how a waterfall would hold up compression-wise.

H1 can't do over and under crank. The major different between Panasonic HVX200 and canon H1 SDI-HD component and removal lenses.

Martin Rodriguez December 11th, 2005 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Benton
I have been considering the HVX
but something shady seems to be surrounding this camera and
while I like the P2 recording - I don't like the price...
Might as well get a Canon + Firestore and have the best of both worlds

The things that I am interested in are Canon 24f and
the HDV v DVC ProHD

DVCPRO easier & cost effective to edit and capture with no compression problems. Plus you will need to use the camera as a deck to playback 24F footage. Final Cut Pro or Avid don't support 24 Frames.

Barlow Elton December 12th, 2005 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Rodriguez
DVCPRO easier & cost effective to edit and capture with no compression problems. Plus you will need to use the camera as a deck to playback 24F footage. Final Cut Pro or Avid don't support 24 Frames.

There will be an update in FCP that adds support to 24F material. It will import the footage with an advanced pulldown similar to DVX100 process.

Barry Green December 12th, 2005 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
There will be an update in FCP that adds support to 24F material. It will import the footage with an advanced pulldown similar to DVX100 process.

There's no pulldown at all in 24F though -- according to Tim Smith at Canon, the 24F is recorded as 24 distinct frames with no pulldown. That's why it won't play back on a Sony, because it's not 60i...

Pete Tomov December 12th, 2005 06:36 AM

Erm..the manual says that in hd mode the 24f is recorded as 60i with pulldown

Barlow Elton December 12th, 2005 10:22 AM

Either way you'll be able to get the full 24 frames back and work in a 24p sequence. It sounds like it's doing something similar to the GY HD100. Repeat frames to tape and whatnot. But of course, that's "true 24p".

Bottom line: Until there's a compatible deck, it's probably wise to shoot with a Firestore and only use the tapes as a backup. Wouldn't want the wear and tear on the H1.

Pete Tomov December 12th, 2005 11:01 AM

Actually my hd-sdi capture card converts 60i with pulldown to 24p.I'm not sure about all but at least most cards should be able to do that.

Barry Green December 12th, 2005 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Tomov
Erm..the manual says that in hd mode the 24f is recorded as 60i with pulldown

Really. Weird. Tim Smith said it was a straight 24p recording. I'll have to look at the manual.

If it's recorded as 60i, why wouldn't it play back in the Sony?