EARLY ADOPTER HERE!!! - I just said SCREW IT and bought one.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 15th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
CF24 footage looks like Re-Run doing the Pop-Lock from "What's Happening"...
- straight from the Sony vaults of unused advertising tags.

That's too funny Shannon. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do in this forum over the next month or so, especially when you get the HVX200 and are able to do some comparisons. Congrats on your new equipment and thanks for sharing with everyone.

...and the #1 GOOGLE search for December 15th at Sony Headquarters in Japan... "pop-lock re-run what's happening."

Last edited by Guest; December 15th, 2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #17
Major Player

What? Shannon made an impulse buy on a high ticket item?
Who would have expected that?
:)

Congratulations on the camera Shannon.
Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #18
Wrangler

Shannon, congratulations! If you liked shooting with a previous XL camera, you'll love shooting with the H1 regardless of the noise level induced by naysayers who DON'T have one.

In fact, the naysaying earlier in this thread finally tipped me "over the edge" and I posted a sticky thread about policy: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56107
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jay
I wonder if you can get hold of the Canon Manual lens and tell us all how much better? it is on the H1?
The black 16x manual lens resolves for standard definition only. Used in the XL H1, it is fine for shooting in either the 4:3 or 16:9 SD modes, but not HD as it lacks the resolving power required for HD. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #20
Wrangler

What Chris just wrote is both the official Canon position, and the informal experience of some folks (including Chris) with pre-production versions of the H1 while using the 3x lens. Not sure if anyone, anywhere has reported has reported publically on the 16x manual with the H1.

Would be interesting though, given the GREAT results I had with the 3x:
http://www.geosynchrony.com/scratchpad.htm

We really do need more folks to validate my testing and also go further, including with the 16x AND HD SDI out. I'm guessing that the manual lens will actually perform at least adequately for HDV (maybe not for HD SDI, but that's why we need objective tests!).
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Say, Pete, I can't remember what all you currently own. Don't you have the 16x manual lens?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
The black 16x manual lens resolves for standard definition only. Used in the XL H1, it is fine for shooting in either the 4:3 or 16:9 SD modes, but not HD as it lacks the resolving power required for HD. Hope this helps,

Chris

I was aware of Pete's SD/HD-glass resolution tests before posting the above, so yes I would still like to know the answer

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #23
Barry Wan Kenobi

Shannon, you're going to get "quote of the week" status for that "Pop-Lock" quote!

So, here's the big question for you -- can you capture 24F footage? I'd love to see some side-by-side footage where you set the Z1 next to the XLH1 and shoot some 24F vs. CF24 and e-mail me the files. Do you have an edit system that supports capturing 24F? Could you work up that kind of test?
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I look forward to seeing some material. You should film the LA downtown city at night too!

Shannon, Your pics are up at the link below. Thanks for the use!

Also, there are a few photos from the HVX200/ 35mm film screening the other night at Laser Pacific.

http://www.pbase.com/arrfilms

michael pappas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Shannon, you're going to get "quote of the week" status for that "Pop-Lock" quote!

So, here's the big question for you -- can you capture 24F footage? I'd love to see some side-by-side footage where you set the Z1 next to the XLH1 and shoot some 24F vs. CF24 and e-mail me the files. Do you have an edit system that supports capturing 24F? Could you work up that kind of test?
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #25
Capt. Quirk

You know... your living room seems kinda empty and barren... maybe you're spending too much on cameras? Buy a picture or something man!
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
maybe you're spending too much on cameras?
Is that possible?

Hmm, must have been a typo.
:)
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
You know... your living room seems kinda empty and barren... maybe you're spending too much on cameras?........
LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking. I was thinking, no wonder there's no furniture in the room. Hahaha! :O He's got a baaaad case of that new camera smell. I suffer from that too. :)
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
You know... your living room seems kinda empty and barren... maybe you're spending too much on cameras? Buy a picture or something man!
A Picture?? and punch a hole in my brand new flat white painted drywalled wall??? HELL NO. *smile*......me and my wife are minimalists...and our house is being shot for a popular home magazine in January. YOU WILL NEVER SEE a wall full of family photos, beer cans all over the place, cats and dogs everywhere, coat racks, armoires, console tables, ugly lithograpgh portraits, broken floor model tv's with little ones on top of it and torn dirty brown recliner chairs with fart stains in the seat at my house.

Just vanilla white berber carpet, pure white walls, a few candles, pure white italian leather modern furniture, a silver 50" plasma(next week) mounted above a pure white fireplace, a cell phone, a laptop and a good book here baby! *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #29
Capt. Quirk

*shudder* I couldn't live in a world without clutter... it would clash with the inside of my head ;)
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:46 AM   #30
Old Boot

Shannon? - I just stumbled on your post here . . where have I been? You are superb! - "YOU WILL NEVER SEE a wall full of family photos, beer cans all over the place, cats and dogs everywhere, coat racks, armoires, console tables, ugly lithograpgh portraits, broken floor model tv's with little ones on top of it and torn dirty brown recliner chairs with fart stains in the seat at my house."

You are soooo funny! Made my London day here in the UK! ! ! I spilt and spluttered my coffee as I read your tirade against "stuff" ! Excellent! Talk about blowing away the cobwebs . . . Hell man .. if I was anywhere near you, I'd be stuffing the tape alongside of you.

note to self: Make a Favourite on search RAWLS DVinfo!

Love it!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders