How did Kaku capture the 24F? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 15th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #1
Major Player

How did Kaku capture the 24F?

I'm looking to test an H1 from a local rental outfit very soon, and would like to know how to get the actual 24F m2t's off of the tape, whether it be Mac or PC. I have FCP 5, but on the PC an older Canopus DVStorm system. Not sure what I can do with the PC/Canopus as that is my only firewire port, and probably non-standard at that.

Any ideas? I've looked into DVHScap and HDVxDV on the Mac, but not sure if either one of those solutions can bring in the actual stream. Would prefer to get the raw m2t's without transcoding or recompressing to get the 24p sequence.

If I have worthy footage, I'll post it, but need to figure out the 24F thing on firewire ingest.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #2
Skyonic New York

edius 3.6 ...update should be out Friday its free if you have 3 a bonus is you can use your storm card
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mann Z.
edius 3.6 ...update should be out Friday its free if you have 3 a bonus is you can use your storm card
Thanks Robert. Not sure I want to buy Edius just to capture a little footage.
Do they have a working demo that wouldn't watermark the clips?
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Actually, it appears this may be an option. There's a 30 day unlimited trial. Cool. Should this easily work with a DVStorm 2 card?

Edit: It appears it requires an OHCI card. No big deal, I can get one cheaply, but I would prefer a simple solution with my G5.

Anything else out there?
Old December 15th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You are right on the OHCI part...and I hate to bust the bubble but I am not sure the demo will be the 3.61 version which will allow full 24p support for HDV capture... I will put the powers to be on notice that the new Canon buyers would like to try edius and see how quick it can get done.BTW I don't think 3.61 will be up until next week.

Sky are you getting an H1 and wadda you think about it?
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey that's great Randy! Appreciate you goin' to bat for us.

Is the Kaku thing a mystery? I believe many of those clips are actual 24F, and I think he was using a Mac system, so how did he get the 24F stream to capture properly?
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #7
Skyonic New York

Randy is a big wig at the very friendly canopus forum, you guys are welcome to take a look and get more feedback when 3.6 hits the servers to see what users think about the h1 intergration...i have a feeling that 3.6 hits the server 2morrow, due to that fact that it was promised to me before the holidays and updates are always done on friday, they are also always done when i leave town so i have to wait a few days and just so happens i'm leaving town 2morrow

Randy i'm getting a hvx, but as an edit studio it would be nice to have the ability to please...i shot about 1/2 hour of stuff using an H1 at NAB POST and a cannot wait to edit it, but alas with the camera i have no way to get on my system, so i may rent it for a day to see what the limits are...

i hate working with hdv becouse of the deck issues we really need a pro deck that plays back every hdv format
Old December 16th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #8
Skyonic New York

ok nevermind my release time for 3.6, i just got word that i was wrong, it still might be a friday release just not this friday....
Old December 16th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks again, Robert.
Old December 16th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #10
Trustee

So we're still not 100% on how to capture 24F with a mac? Has anyone heard a time frame from FCP?
Old December 16th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
So we're still not 100% on how to capture 24F with a mac? Has anyone heard a time frame from FCP?
I'm gonna try on mon/tues with DVHSCap and HDVxDV. If neither one works, I'll try Edius demo once it's released.
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #12
Trustee

Sorry, I missed this thread. I've been busy with my real work.
I captured all of the XLH1 clips in all formats with beta version of LumiereHD provided by Frederic Haubrich. It was a special beta version that I believe, so you might have to ask Frederic for the specific questions.

It was XLH1 connected to Power Mac Dual G5 via firewire, LumiereHD to capture, and saved as m2t files. No conversion what so ever.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #13
Skyonic New York

edius 3.61

3.61 is here FULL H1 support... :)
Old December 19th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #14
Regular Crew

The demo version does not have it but hopefully soon...it is being worked on as we speak....
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Randy, looking forward to giving Edius a whirl. Interested to see where it bests FCP.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders