It's good to know that Canon XL-H1 will playback HDV footage from Sony Z1U/FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 15th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #1
Major Player

It's good to know that Canon XL-H1 will playback HDV footage from Sony Z1U/FX1

Just ran some tests and the footage I just shot in HDV on my Z1U played back, downconverted and captured as DV to my computer FLAWLESSLY with my Canon XL-H1! Timecode and all.

I'm happy because now I can retain ALL my master footage I shot in 2005 with my Sony Z1U (in CF24, CF30 and 60i) and know that I can access it with my H1.

Now I did try and reverse this process by recording with the Canon H1 in all modes and playing it back in the Z1, but the Z1U was only able to understand the 60i HDV footage from the H1. It was pretty....but thats all it understood in HDV format. No 30f or 24f. The Sony Z1U did however playback the 24p DV footage that I shot with the Canon H1.

As far as digitizing goes with the Canon H1....it will downconvert ALL of its footage in ALL formats to DV via FireWire. I suppose that's how KAKU did it with the bicycle stuff.

I shot in HDV 24f---->downconverted it---->came in computer as 29.97 regular interlaced DV, LFF
I shot in HDV 30f---->downconverted it---->came in computer as 29.97 regular interlaced DV, LFF
I shot in HDV 60i---->downconverted it---->came in computer as 29.97 regular interlaced DV, LFF

I shot in DV 24f---->captured it---->came in computer as 23.976 24p DV, progressive removing 2-3 pulldown (i had it in 2-3, not 2-3-3-2)
I shot in DV 30f---->captured it---->came in computer as 29.97 30p DV, progressive
I shot in DV 60i---->captured it---->came in computer as 29.97 regular interlaced DV, LFF

I hope this answers some of the questions for you guys. This camera is every bit of an XL-2 when in DV mode. not one thing changed for workflow.
For capturing HDV footage...just turn the downconverter on and capture away! it comes in as regular DV, and I havent had time to do any pulldowns or anything. maybe tomorrow.
and this camera is backwards compatible to the Sony HDV fx1/z1u. Plays & Digitizes all their stuff!

*poof*

- ShannonRawls.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders