Whu have "CLOSE" as an option for Iris? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old December 23rd, 2005, 11:54 AM   #16
Major Player

One step ahead of you. I pulled out the XL1s to see for myself after I replied.
The XL1s switches a tad-bit harder then the XL-H1, but not by much.

and get this...

it's smoother then the Z1U going to "closed".

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:05 PM   #17
Major Player

Shannon, thanx for checking this! Are the increments (in f-stops) the same as in the XL-1s?
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 06:12 PM   #18
Regular Crew

It seems to me you would definitely still notice small luminance jumps if you tried to adjust the iris during a shot.

The stops go 1.6 (when wide), 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.2, 3.4, 3.7, 4.0, 4.4, 4.8, 5.2, 5.6, 6.2, 6.7, 7.3, 8.0, 8.7, 9.5, CLOSE
Old December 24th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #19
Major Player

Hello Guys :-)

JMHO This is useless... do it in post and use the iris for what it is designed to do... adjust for DOF and lighting conditions.

Now if you shoot in automatic mode, which I never do, I can see that you would want smooth iris changes when moving from a light scene to a dark one, or vise versa, but I can't see the value in manual mode.

Now I must admit that I don't do events and all of my shots are planned, so my light is right from the get go and I don't require any Fstop changes during a take, so I am no authority when it comes to live events.

If I ever find myself shooting a natural scene, I would rehearse my moves and take a reading from my darkest to my lightest extreme and choose the most appropriate setting so that I wouldn't have to change it in the shot. I can see how you would use auto mode for ENG.

Merry Xmass and all that!!
Old December 24th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #20
Major Player

i just went out with my H1 and did a bunch of iris tests on christmas tree bulbs, it is incremental but quite smooth, if you roll the dial smoothly and consistently you can get very clean fades
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven-Marc Couchouron
The stops go 1.6 (when wide), 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.2, 3.4, 3.7, 4.0, 4.4, 4.8, 5.2, 5.6, 6.2, 6.7, 7.3, 8.0, 8.7, 9.5, CLOSE
Thanx for posting this info! So it's the same as the XL-1s, but the latter adds 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and then goes to CLOSE. Did they omit f/13 to steer clear of bad luck? ;)

Cheers,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders