XL H1 tape stock ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 31st, 2006, 02:41 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Shannon - very helpful as always.

Makes sense now - I think I've got a Canopus box that uses the same kind of proprietary plug to component breakout.

Is the SD Composite output via BNC or RCA jack?

Very good to know about the 16x9 out - I have a Sony PVM-8045 which makes switching easy. Some of my other monitors aren't as cooperative. Sounds like you'd have trouble just taking this to a friends house and plugging it in to their family set - my guess is the images would be tall/skinny? Perhaps the component out is a little more forgiving on a newer set, or is it the same way. Just wondering, for that odd time that you'd have to plug it into a rogue monitor somewhere...

Thanks.
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:52 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Alyasiri
Is the SD Composite output via BNC or RCA jack?
Both! The XL-H1 is the only HDV camera that provides you with a BNC connection for composite video out. No adapter needed, because you can alternatively use the RCA video jack that's right next to it instead.
On a 4:3 tv the image will be tall/skinny. New or old TV, it doesn't matter....4:3 is not forgiving with a 16:9 image.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old February 1st, 2006, 02:45 AM   #18
Major Player

Canon don't like Sony

For the tape brand - use - JVC M-DV63PROHD - don't use Sony, says my DVcam serviceman.
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:03 AM   #19
Trustee

That's interesting did your service man say why to only use the JVC brand? We've had nothing but quality from the sony Digital Master HDV tapes.
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:05 AM   #20
Trustee

I haven't tried the canon tapes, but at 14.00 a piece I would tempted to just pay an extra buck adn get the sony digital masters, if for no other reason then they come in a cool loooking case.
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM   #21
Inner Circle

As others have said the worst thing to do is to change brand. When you use a tape the head drum wears and beds in to on the exact makeup of the tape and lubricant. If you change brand the head wears again adapting to the new brand, so changing brands frequently will promote faster head drum wear. In addition some of the lubricants used when mixed with lubricants from other manufacturers can lead to an increase in oxide shedding and hence dropouts.
So bottom line, pick a reputable brand and stick with it.
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:07 PM   #22
Major Player

Strange.. Yes!

I always used Sony's tape before (I think it's called DVM63) when I came to shop (with service man) I told him proud of H1 that I should by some more of the Sony's tape: - Don't, Canon never liked Sony, he told me. Drop outs etc. I don't know... He also told me the mecanical transport is at is best after a year ofe use for a well built camera like the H1. Maybe stick to one brand is the best...
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:43 PM   #23
Major Player

Does anyone think there'd be any danger to switching between the various qualities of Sony tapes?

That is, stay with the same brand, but sometimes use a regular Sony miniDV 60pr, and sometimes use a Sony 'master' HDV tape?

I have been using Firestores for the last couple of years, so it's rare I even use the tape after a recording. However, if you didn't have a Firestore (or that the Firestore has HDV bugs - which I believe it does), I'd certainly want anything mission critical to be on the best recommended media.

I'm sure that if it's important you should spend the money on the good tapes (or always use the good tapes). I guess I just like being cheap sometimes - especially if the footage works, or if I'm just flat out of tapes, and a local resource has the regular kind. Wouldn't want to switch between both if it was harming the camera though. I'm guessing there's no issue... (?)

Just a thought/question...
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:24 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Staying with the same brand should avoid the lubricant issues, however changing tape formulation will lead to further head profile changes and thus accelerated wear. Having said that most HDV/DV head drums should be good for 2000 hours if well looked after, so it all depends on how long you expect the drum to last. For me I would expect the camera to be superceeded or replaced before the drum wears out.
Old February 16th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #25
Tourist

If any one has any links to reviews of the new Panasonic tape could you post them? I'll soon be shooting and had every intention of using the Sony DigitalMaster tapes, because of their reputation, but have personally always liked Panny's Master Quality tapes.

Thanks,

Justin
Justin Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #26
Major Player

Canon tape = Panasonic tape (?)

I asked a Canon representative about suitable tapes if not buying Canon's. After a long talk back and forth he said Canon is buying their tape from someone else which is NOT Sony. Suddenly he admitted the tape was the same as the one I planned to buy, the Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ. I'm not 100 % sure about this because it was a talk over the phone. However, this tape has worked fine so far. /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #27
Major Player

What is Sony Digital Master?

Is Sony Digital Master the same as DVM 63HD Mini DV tape sold by B&H?

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #28
Trustee

It's similar but the digital master comes in a larger case and is the "top of the line" for the Mini DV range. It's model is the PHDVM-63DM
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #29
Major Player

Which Tape Stock Is Best?

Tried to find the answer with search but not much luck...

I was wondering what is the best tape stock to use with the XL H1... doing a second unit shoot in Cancun... then will bump the footage to HDCAM...

Thanks for the upcoming info guys or gals...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McClurg
Tried to find the answer with search but not much luck...

I was wondering what is the best tape stock to use with the XL H1... doing a second unit shoot in Cancun... then will bump the footage to HDCAM...

Thanks for the upcoming info guys or gals...
Gary,

Visit "The Long Black Line" forum at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Many many threads and posts to help you out. Main consensus, buy a decent tape, and stick with it.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders