DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   So...where's the footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/56677-so-wheres-footage.html)

Kevin Wild December 22nd, 2005 11:09 PM

So...where's the footage?

Enough with all this testing of charts! :-) Hasn't anyone that spent $9000 on a new camera stuck it outside and pressed record yet? Barely seen any since the pre-release cappacino machine.

Charts are great...umm...but I sure would love to see some clips in real world situations before I put my order in. Can anyone put some clips up?

Thanks!

Kevin

Nick Hiltgen December 23rd, 2005 01:16 AM

As soon as mine arrives I'l try to put up some footage, but to be honest it's goingt o be a little difficult for me until Apple puts out there codec, (I heard a rumor it would be with in the next month, but well it's a rumor)

Barlow Elton December 23rd, 2005 01:33 AM

Nick,

I just played with an H1 for a little while this afternoon at the local dealer.
They let me take the camera outside the building and film my kids for a few minutes.

I was able to capture both 60i and 24F from a trial version of a program called HDVxDV. Captured to my 667mhz G4 powerbook with no problems.

It's goofy kid footage, but I may post it later on.

btw, I'm a believer too. It's an amazing camera.

Barlow Elton December 23rd, 2005 01:56 AM

I don't know how long my iDisk bandwidth will hold up with these large files...but here goes:

www.homepage.mac.com/mrbarlowelton

There are 3 m2t's. All 24F

Be kind...I was just goofing off in the parking lot, and I was losing light.
I was hunting focus all over the place because I was in relatively low light and in manual. You have to stop recording in order to use the focus assist,
and I was just trying to get some stuff shot before it got dark. Seriously, I had about 10 minutes outside with the camera, and then I had to rush into their offices and try to capture a few clips before they closed.

btw, for those who don't know, you need the vlc player.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Nick Hiltgen December 23rd, 2005 02:04 AM

HDVxDV, ok awesome I'll look for that. Thanks Barlow. I'm downloading your clip now, the focusing is probably my main issue as well with the camera. (we'll see if you had the same problems I did) Thanks for sacrificing your idisk.

::edit::
just downloaded your short clip HOW GREAT DOES THAT LOOK! Good job man.

Barlow Elton December 23rd, 2005 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
HDVxDV, ok awesome I'll look for that. Thanks Barlow. I'm downloading your clip now, the focusing is probably my main issue as well with the camera. (we'll see if you had the same problems I did) Thanks for sacrificing your idisk.

::edit::
just downloaded your short clip HOW GREAT DOES THAT LOOK! Good job man.

Thanks, Nick. Man, I am DYING to take that camera out for a spin again, only with plenty of time to get used to things, tweak, and figure out it's quirks.

I really think the HDV is so much better than the others, it's not even close.
I did some quick pans of cars going by, and it doesn't macroblock like the Z1 would. Just smooth and sharp overall.

Barry Green December 23rd, 2005 02:19 AM

For PC users, these clips will also play in Windows Media Player, as well as directly importable into Vegas 5 or later.

Pete Tomov December 23rd, 2005 03:28 AM

Thanks for the clips,Barlow,looking really good.
For some reason shutter seams a little slow,is that because it was too dark?
And another thing - the clip resolution seems to be 1536x1080!?All the other XL H1 footage i've seen is 1440x1080.

Kevin Wild December 23rd, 2005 09:49 AM

Thanks for posting. Nice to see some clips right out of the box. It did look a little bland...underexposed, perhaps. I look forward to seeing more...anyone?

Thanks again!

Kevin

Shannon Rawls December 23rd, 2005 10:37 AM

Barlow,
Wonderful family.

This photo here:
http://www.cinemahill.com/hidef/imag...wsbabygirl.png
Extracted from the Very First Frame of your "H1-2.M2T" file, looks like someting that was shot with FILM from a scene in a cool love/drama/thriller directed by M. Night Shyamalan or something. *smile* Check out the color temperature and contrast of this snapshot. The underexposed look was cool to me. Maybe it was the time of day and available sunlight, who knows. Kinda reminicent of the pretty video pictures my DVX100a can take. My Sony Z1U couldn't have done that out the box. It would have been sharper and more edgy-vivid (which is not a bad thing, actually). I didn't do anything to the photo. All I did was download & drop your 24p HD file into Vegas 5 and took a snapshot and saved it as a .png and uploaded it. Did you tweak the settings on the camera Barlow?

Everybody,
The footage I had, I mailed to Nick. I'm going to shoot some 'controlled' and 'dialed-in' stuff for you guys to take a look at.

- ShannonRawls.com

Barlow Elton December 23rd, 2005 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Tomov
Thanks for the clips,Barlow,looking really good.
For some reason shutter seams a little slow,is that because it was too dark?
And another thing - the clip resolution seems to be 1536x1080!?All the other XL H1 footage i've seen is 1440x1080.

I shot at 1/48th at -3db, just to see how sensitive it was in those conditions.

I have no idea why your program is reporting it as 1536x1080. Wait, now I realize...that's the entire 1.67MP image.

Barlow Elton December 23rd, 2005 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
Thanks for posting. Nice to see some clips right out of the box. It did look a little bland...underexposed, perhaps. I look forward to seeing more...anyone?

Thanks again!

Kevin

Actually, I was intentionally slightly underexposed. Wanted to see -3db in twilight. Yesterday was a fairly thick overcast one.

I've tried the gain, and it can brighten up the image considerably without adding too much noise. I think what might've also thrown me a little off was the EVF. I think it was too bright for what I was seeing. Oh well, I'm going to take the camera out next week, maybe go down to Zion's or Bryce Canyon...or maybe go up to the Olympic Training Center in Park City and film ski jumps and bobsledding.

I'll put up a 1080i in a few.

Barlow Elton December 23rd, 2005 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
Barlow,
Wonderful family.

Thank you, kindly.

Quote:

Did you tweak the settings on the camera Barlow?
Nope! Seriously, it really was about 10 minutes in a parking lot. Just put it in manual, set it to -3db and rolled as much as I could.

btw, feel free to post other stills for people who can't play the clips.

Nick Hiltgen December 23rd, 2005 11:31 AM

The shutter speed seemed fine to me, I appreciate that you shot in -3 as that is something I didn't do on my test with shannon, I used HDVxDV to import the clips into FCP and I was surprised that there was a lot of room to play with the clips (specifically with color corrector) I'm curious as to which white balance you used (manual or daylight preset) because I notices if I shift the colors to the red (just a little bit) the exposure and saturation look better.

That's one other thing I'll say about working in HD, I've noticed that mixed light (daylight and tungsten) and overcast, or different color temperatures will really change a picture with these cams. I didn't knotice this so much in DV (unless it was an effect I was going for) so uh, yeah everyone keep that in mind when shooting in HD.

Barlow Elton December 23rd, 2005 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
The shutter speed seemed fine to me, I appreciate that you shot in -3 as that is something I didn't do on my test with shannon, I used HDVxDV to import the clips into FCP and I was surprised that there was a lot of room to play with the clips (specifically with color corrector) I'm curious as to which white balance you used (manual or daylight preset) because I notices if I shift the colors to the red (just a little bit) the exposure and saturation look better.

That's one other thing I'll say about working in HD, I've noticed that mixed light (daylight and tungsten) and overcast, or different color temperatures will really change a picture with these cams. I didn't knotice this so much in DV (unless it was an effect I was going for) so uh, yeah everyone keep that in mind when shooting in HD.

What codec did you transcode to? I'm wondering how it held up.

I'm pretty sure I was on daylight WB.